Research Finds Link Between Games and Brain Pleasure

Status
Not open for further replies.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Oh, sorry for my previous comment.
2 nerds got offended...i wasn't talking about you guys, i was talking about the researchers...lol

G

And this is why I've never done coke. I know that when I can get addicted to games chances are that I'll get addicted to blow if I ever tried it.

akymi

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
4h/week - average
21h/week - frequent
wait what? how about 50h+/week?

Researchers did what they wanted to do but please don't jump to conclusions over a bunch of casuals.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]akymi[/nom]4h/week - average21h/week - frequentwait what? how about 50h+/week?Researchers did what they wanted to do but please don't jump to conclusions over a bunch of casuals.[/citation]
4hr/week=casual
21hr/=gamer
50hr/week=hardcore gamer

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Still not conclusive and further research needs to be done, but the point in case is the larger area in the brain presumably developed with a greater gaming activity that points to similarities with some addictions. Of course we all enjoy our lifestyle or hobbies but at what point anything becomes an addiction and how healthy could it be?

G

What is being said here is that gamers have a neurological structure which makes them more sensitive to the brains own reward mechanism. As any current / former addict will know, this reward mechanism runs on such yummy, yummy chemicals as seritonin, oxytocin and dopamine. The implication being that gamers have more addictive personalities. The researchers are also careful to point out that this implication is only an implication and that they cannot say whether gaming makes someone more susceptible to addiction (can you imagine moral outrage) or whether gaming attracts people who already have a predisposition to addiction.

Now, I personally, being a hardcore gamer, a former drug addict and from what I understand about the remarkable plasticity of the human brain, think that it's probably both. Despite it's seemingly mainstream acceptance I think that we have a long way before gaming will have mainstream cultural legitimacy. I predict another generation or two when all those baby boomers are dead and the people who have grown up with gaming all their lives are retiring.

Gaming addiction isn't even officially recognised in The American Psychiatric Association's current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV.) These people have obviously never even read about the phenomenon of WOW and it's players, let alone met one or (god forbid) played themselves.

P.S. I've never played WOW by the way, I know my weaknesses.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]4hr/week=casual21hr/=gamer50hr/week=hardcore gamer[/citation]

50hours/week = unemployed
21hours/week is hardcore enough, thats 3 hours EVERYDAY of the week and you still have to sleep, work and take care of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.