Researchers Create Transparent Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhotbd

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I don't know, the only way I see this benefiting a consumer is by them taking the back cover off their device and saying 'Looks friends, this is the future, when devices run off NOTHING...'
o_O

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Think of a pair of "glasses" that actually contain a HUD. As little power as LCDs use, this would let you fit a usable power source into the lenses.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Think of a pair of "glasses" that actually contain a HUD. As little power as LCDs use, this would let you fit a usable power source into the lenses.[/citation]

All for this.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I believe the main trend should be toward increasing the battery's capacity. Transparent batteries do not have a future if not accompanied by increase in capacity. This seems a step backwards. Cool research, though, but only that.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I believe the main trend should be toward increasing the battery's capacity. Transparent batteries do not have a future if not accompanied by increase in capacity. This seems a step backwards. Cool research, though, but only that.[/citation]
I think this type of battery is outside of the consumer electronics scope, and more in line with military and industrial technology.

Like Jtt283 said, transparent displays containing this type of technology could serve three purposes at once. A transparent HUD display, a protecting tintable layer, and a power source. This is the kind of technology that will make wireless HUD glasses and goggles a reality.

Not only that; if scientists can better see the process that these types of batteries go through in such a way, it could lead to a better understanding of the technology as a whole, which will lead to better capacity and reliability.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
In other news, scientists add glitter to plastic and think it is pretty. General public goes wild while the rest of us just don't care.

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
"if it was a mechanical watch then yes, but i don't see the reason for transparent batteries...fail"

Pffft... anyways, I guess this takes us one step closer to phones like these.

http://wmpoweruser.com/cool-transparent-windows-mobile-concept-phone/

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
am i the only one who things transparent screens are retarded?

on a cellphone, hold the phone how you normally would. wow, its transparent so you can see your hand better.

on a laptop, well, you have that movie going, but its hard to see because you are distracted and are looking through it.

on glasses, ok, you realy want this kind of tech? you want teenagers who drive to use a computer in their f***ing glasses? they already are so stupid they go 90+mph when they think no cops are around (what my friends did/still do) and are already not watching the road to text, you want to add glasses with screens? now in the professional field, it could be use in airplanes, but realty unnecessary, could be used in cars to replace looking away from the road to see mph and such, but thats more of a windshield thing, not a glasses.

here let me point out tech that would be SO much better to research.

1, a non reflective surface. there has to be a kind of surface that you can look at it, and it will refuse to reflect anything, but let light through. this would be a godsend for laptops/tablets/phones

2, head mounted displays. and not something thats a giant helmate. i mean like small ones, that are wireless, and can display a natural 3d. this could effectively replace your tv or your pc monitor

3, getting higher end displays down in cost.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
[citation][nom]cwolf78[/nom]"if it was a mechanical watch then yes, but i don't see the reason for transparent batteries...fail"Pffft... anyways, I guess this takes us one step closer to phones like these.http://wmpoweruser.com/cool-transp [...] ept-phone/[/citation]

thats all it needs with a transparent processor

guanyu210379

Distinguished
..... somewhere in the future....
customer service technician : you have to pull the battery out, put it back and press the power on.
customer : where? I do not see any battery, are you sure my phone has a battery?
customer service technician : it is transparent, try to touch it and pull it, it is there

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
It's against the laws of physics to have one layer be 62% transparent and then add two more layers and have it be 60% transparent. You'd have to multiply by .62 for each layer added. .62 X .62 X .62 = .24 or 24% transparent.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Technology does not run in a single line. These guys are trying to make a transparent power source. There are other institutes and organization that are researching different technology. Then after, technology fuses together to make things even far more innovative. Sure, you may think "transparent batteries? WHY?" now, but as we advanced forward, it will find its' use. Think back to the time a wheel was first invented. Look at how much as evolved from that one single step. Stop being so negative and just sit back and watch what unfolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.