Researchers Find That Not All Androids Are Equally Secure

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
“The problem is that these pre-loaded apps are built on top of the existing Android architecture in such a way as to create potential 'backdoors' that can be used to give third-parties direct access to personal information or other phone features."

So how about the rootkits that are pre-loaded, almost completely hidden, and sends third parties information about everything I do (i.e. CarrierIQ) on the phone?

Because while it's good to secure the apps on your device that's useless if your device has a program on it that is inherently extremely dangerous to your security at a lower level...

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Good article, I own a Samsung Galaxy S (original) and have been bitterly disappointed with the lack of updates to the OS and the preloaded applications. The extra skins and software loaded on top of the vanilla android are ok, but I prefer the defaults. If I ever buy another Android it will be Nexus line exclusively. My wife's Nexus One is awesome.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I'm shocked, I say, shocked that all the holes exist; no, not really. This is what happens when the code monkeys add features to differentiate the OS, yet, nobody takes the time to understand the impact of these 'features'

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Duh! Android is full of security holes and that's intentional. Think about it... when you own a Android device you already have been hacked into. BUT I do love my Samsung Galaxy S2 with 2.3 Gingerbread.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
So this is just like with bloatware loaded onto Windows by OEMs; a lot of them really compromise your experience as well as security of the system.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
This is going to likely become moot with ICS, when ICS is released it does away with the vendor modifications and forces the Android phones to a more stock build for distribution.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]LuckyDucky7[/nom]So how about the rootkits that are pre-loaded, almost completely hidden, and sends third parties information about everything I do (i.e. CarrierIQ) on the phone?Because while it's good to secure the apps on your device that's useless if your device has a program on it that is inherently extremely dangerous to your security at a lower level...[/citation]
Root it, wipe it out and install vanilla Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.