Researchers Improve Graphene Efficiency by 20x

Status
Not open for further replies.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Is there no end to the technology ails that graphene can't cure? Maybe the next technological age will just be called the Carbon Age.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Graphene is next, I have a feeling.

I would love to see a fully fabricated carbon IC made out of Graphene. After 16,11, and 4 nm transistors, let us go to 540 picometer transistors...on carbon transition processing. Maybe make a carbon memristor as well.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]Is there no end to the technology ails that graphene can't cure? Maybe the next technological age will just be called the Carbon Age.[/citation]
Carbon Age sounds freakin' awesome. I guess now we can see why carbon has it's own branch of chemistry :)

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
2004?
Who wrote the article?
Graphene as a term dates back to 1962.

IBM made demonstrations with graphene in CPU's.
We could have been using this as a hybrid option in current technology to radically lower temperatures instead of full-blown silicon.
Capitalism...

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
[citation][nom]deksman[/nom]2004?Who wrote the article?Graphene as a term dates back to 1962.IBM made demonstrations with graphene in CPU's.We could have been using this as a hybrid option in current technology to radically lower temperatures instead of full-blown silicon.Capitalism...[/citation]

Yep, according to teory, we could be using a 64-cores cpus right now, but after we got those, we would not spend a cent for the next 5 years.
Graphene is something that is still expensive, but its so damn powerfull it could very easy create androids. and i mean sci-fi quality androids.

Bah, ill keep dreamin about that kinda stuff while i play a game and get mad becouse i cant turn on 8x AA on max settings....

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]deksman[/nom]2004?Who wrote the article?Graphene as a term dates back to 1962.IBM made demonstrations with graphene in CPU's.We could have been using this as a hybrid option in current technology to radically lower temperatures instead of full-blown silicon.Capitalism...[/citation]

Learn to read history somewhere other that Wikipedia. Graphene wasn't discovered in 1962, but theorized as something similar to graphite. It wasn't until around 2004 that scientists could actually isolate Graphene to test and measure its electronic properties.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]Is there no end to the technology ails that graphene can't cure? Maybe the next technological age will just be called the Carbon Age.[/citation]
carbon is the basic block of life.....everything and anything has some kind of carbon

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Author: You might want to include a definition of 'plasmonics' so the article makes any kind of sense at all. It's the focus of the article, and not a single word is used to describe it. This article is splunge.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I remember an article I read a long time ago in a pc mag. Something about this could help with the heat produced in cpu. That I think was in 2006 or so. How long before we will see this in use.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

You had better register this with the patent office before apple finds out about it, otherwise it will just be another term we can't say out loud without being sued.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]Learn to read history somewhere other that Wikipedia. Graphene wasn't discovered in 1962, but theorized as something similar to graphite. It wasn't until around 2004 that scientists could actually isolate Graphene to test and measure its electronic properties.[/citation]
If you find that there is something unfactual in this article, you should correct it and add a reference to your source.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphene

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Yeah, time travel goes back to HG Wells but he didn't exactly have a working time machine, big difference between a word and a theoretical substance and actually creating and using it.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Author: You might want to include a definition of 'plasmonics' so the article makes any kind of sense at all. It's the focus of the article, and not a single word is used to describe it. This article is splunge.[/citation]
+1 my thoughts exactly. Had to hit Wikipedia about 3 seconds in.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Carbon Age does sound crazy awesome.

It also dawned on me that C has been an integral part of our body chemistry, our engineering and civilization and its role doesn't look to be changing anytime soon.

sixsevensix

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]carbon is the basic block of life.....everything and anything has some kind of carbon[/citation]

GFAJ-1
proves that this is most likely not the case.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Point is .... graphene isn't anything new.
the 'costs' are always presented as 'high'.
Artificial inflation does wonders for the economy.
I loathe capitalism because consumer tech is toying in obscurity (but if all of it was for human progress, then we would likely be past graphene by now - in fact.. we are, it's just not on the market because again it's 'too costly').
Where are they shipping the materials from?
The moon?
Give me a break.
With all their vaunted talks of new technologies coming faster and being cheaper to not only produce but buy is a load of trash.
The trend in question IS here, but a much slower pace than they can actually pull off.
Reason?
Money and profit.

Also, I said that 'graphene' as a TERM dates back to the 1960... I haven't said anything for the substance.
But even so, graphene as we understand it could have seen widespread use in the IT at least a decade ago... at most, 2 decades ago.

dsolom3

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
As long as they pull the carbon out of atmosphere that is all cool by me. And by carbon I mean methane, ethane, CO, etc, not just the CO2.

Status
Not open for further replies.