Researchers Prove Violent Video Games Change Your Brain

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow what a dumb experiment. It couldn't just be playing video games that changes brain functioning, it has to be VIOLENT video games. Get your life together and do some real science.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]Daltron2000[/nom]Wow what a dumb experiment. It couldn't just be playing video games that changes brain functioning, it has to be VIOLENT video games. Get your life together and do some real science.[/citation]
exactly. it showed playing 10hrs a day of video games changed the brain..not necessarily it being violent.

G

Hell I could have told them it effects the brain. Mine feels a lot better after gettin' the lead out ;)

G

Wow. So, one to 2 weeks equates to a long term study now? That's impressive! Such foresight in the researchers is absolutely amazing! I'm surprised he didn't just scratch the whole study all together, and just jump to conclusions!

Seriously though, I hope no one takes the "results" of this research and runs with it. Although, anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together can probably see that nothing will come of this. It's like, spending money and 2 weeks to say that "If you heat up metal with a blowtorch, it gets hot." What a ridiculous waste of time. What would be more informative is actually stretching this research over a longer period of time.

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
from the article:
"Wang did not say what kind of behavioral changes are to be expected"

Play video games for 10 hours per day for a week and of course brain activity will change. If that's all their experiment verified, then it's pure fail. A worthwhile experiment would have been to gather objective evidence as to what (if any) is the effect on patterns of behaviour or thoughts. You do ANY activity that intensely for a week and an MRI will reveal some kind of change. You think if you played tennis for a week they wouldn't detect anything? And as for the control group, shouldn't they play a non-violent game for the same amount of time? What if Hello Kitty Island Adventure has the same patters of brain activity changes? Can they state that they verified this is not the case?

Oh science, how I weep for you. You were ridiculed and punished for thousands of years, and now the general public accepted quasi-science in your stead. Acupuncture, homeopathic "medicine", mediums, studies that don't properly isolate the factor they're trying to test for. Will your time ever come?

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
10 hours a day isn't even healthy. I would say doing ANYTHING for ten hours would cause you to lose focus and decrease ability to control cognitive flexibility and attention. Stick them in school for 10 hours listening to someone lecture and I'm sure the exact same results would appear. Also it says on the game packaging to take a break every hour for 15 minutes. In school, when you change classes, you have about a five minute break also. I mean who actually does something for ten hours without stopping? That's like watching the movie "Titanic" (which is 3 hours and 14 minutes long) three times in a row. Obviously they're going to lose the ability to pay attention. And for 7 days in a row? This is one of those studies that they say on TV whichout very much info and when you actually look the study up it's a load of crap.

psychobob

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
"These findings indicate that violent video game play has a long-term effect on brain functioning"

How can they determine it has a long-term effect when the researcher even states their changes returned close to the control group? It's more short term and reversible.

Also, the sample size is tiny and is not representative of the population. I think the average age of gamers is 33.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
They need to do a more thorough test... have yet another group actually perform violent acts other people for 10h a day for a week strait and see if that has the same effect. I can predict with a fair amount of certainty that this other group will be far outside the norm, even from the the video game players and the control group.

G

[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]"Oh! Sticky bombs like you!"[/citation]

I knew one person would recognize :)

G

reduced activity in those areas could also mean those areas became adept at resolving said functions and perform tasks with ease compared with the control group
in layman's term (mine, too), they GREW in their abilities

and everyone who played video games knows (including my 70 yo father) that hand-eye coordination is only one of those abilities

so yes, it changes the brain. for the better

G

[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]10 hours a day isn't even healthy. I would say doing ANYTHING for ten hours would cause you to lose focus and decrease ability to control cognitive flexibility and attention. Stick them in school for 10 hours listening to someone lecture and I'm sure the exact same results would appear. Also it says on the game packaging to take a break every hour for 15 minutes. In school, when you change classes, you have about a five minute break also. I mean who actually does something for ten hours without stopping? That's like watching the movie "Titanic" (which is 3 hours and 14 minutes long) three times in a row. Obviously they're going to lose the ability to pay attention. And for 7 days in a row? This is one of those studies that they say on TV whichout very much info and when you actually look the study up it's a load of crap.[/citation]

Star Wars marathon, LotR marathon, Matrix marathon...

Make those same people play Pinata or Barbie... for that time period...

laxduck26

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
[citation][nom]applefairyboy[/nom]Sad part is that someone wasted their money funding this study.[/citation]

Not wasted if they can use it to fuel their propaganda machine. This "study" is a crock, plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.