Reset my laptop without a disk

Niiaa

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015
My laptop has a black screen with the mouse I tried resetting it but it's telling me " insert your windows installation or recovery media to continue" I do not have either of that

Even if recovery is possible without a recovery disk, how to do it will depend on the make and model of the laptop. Some are shipped with a "recovery partition" on the hard drive and you can boot into recovery and do a factory reset. This will clean up the operating system but, of course, delete all your data. Some do not have a recovery partition, and you would be out of luck without media.

What make and model is the machine, what OS are you running, and how old is it? Is it still in warranty? Is there data on it that you need to recover? Had you done something recently, like installing new software or dropping the machine/

It's also possible that it's not a software problem but the disk died. Are you at all familiar with booting into BIOS, which you could use to check whether or not the motherboard sees a disk?