Restaurant Replaces Paper-Based Menus with iPads

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Here we go again.

Another "Someone uses an ipad/iphone to do something completely irrelevant" article

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
And what about security measures? Do they "trust" me with it? Damn that restaurant might be too expensive for me anyways...better just buy an ipad :D

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
wow umm..i'm all for technology but, aren't you wasting more money and being less environmental friendly by using an ipad as a menu? Given its easier to change the menu itself at any time you would like..its not like they waste paper. menu's last quite some time. for these ipads i'd imagine they would get beat up fairly quickly. some little boy perhaps spills his free water on one of these?

bandeto

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
If I was an owner of a restaurant, spending $40,000 and 5 months of development on the menus would never occur to me

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]BananaPikachu[/nom]Here we go again.Another "Someone uses an ipad/iphone to do something completely irrelevant" article[/citation]

Wrong. More than the fact that this is an iPad, it's about the advancement and proliferation of technology over more traditional standards(paper.) The article isn't really focused on the "wonders of the new shiny Apple product" but more on how tech is playing an increasingly big role in places where it usually doesn't at all. And of the course the opposition from old schoolers.

+1 for haunted one. The article title let you know EXACTLY what you were clicking on, so why did you if all you planned on doing was complaining?

sicpric

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
That's a pretty kool idea. Although, maybe embedding touch screens in the tables or something similar would probably be a better idea, and cut out the risk of theft.

I don't like the idea of promoting apple products at a restaurant. We don't need apple getting a bigger ego or to have Der Fuhrer Jobs sue some innocent Australian restaurant.

sicpric

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
That's a pretty kool idea. Although, maybe embedding touch screens in the tables or something similar would probably be a better idea, and cut out the risk of theft.

I don't like the idea of promoting apple products at a restaurant. We don't need apple getting a bigger ego or to have Der Fuhrer Jobs sue some innocent Australian restaurant.

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]wow umm..i'm all for technology but, aren't you wasting more money and being less environmental friendly by using an ipad as a menu? Given its easier to change the menu itself at any time you would like..its not like they waste paper. menu's last quite some time. for these ipads i'd imagine they would get beat up fairly quickly. some little boy perhaps spills his free water on one of these?[/citation]

actually it might be better than paper menus because they might change thier menu frequently. plus they can put thier specials of the day on it and do away with the chalk boards.

jalt

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Wow, 40k and all he has to show for it are 4 iPads and 11 on the way (not sure if those 11 are paid for yet.) What a waste. I love the idea, sounds cool, but that's way too much to pay. Could have waited a year or two and let someone else pave the way. Now the guy that developed the App will make a fortune. Hope the owner was smart enough to retain rights to the software.

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Why is it that tablets have been around for almost a decade, running software alot more useful than a phone OS, and apple is getting all this credit?

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
think this would be better if it broadcasts the menu to the smartphones/mobile computers(laptop,netbook,tablet) the people already have instead of giving them an expensive piece of tech to walk off with like an A&W frosted mug!

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hey man, I thought you can only buy 1 iPad per person. Watch dude's gonna sell it on eBay later when this thing doesn't take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.