Restore programs asks for disk not part of the backup set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maramonsk

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
I am helping a friend recover from a failed Windows 10. She has a HP Pavilion laptop with factory installed Windows 7. Before restoring to factory defaults and Windows 7 I used the HP Recovery Manager to back up data. This backup process required 5 DVD's.

After restoring to Windows 7, I started with file recovery process using the HP Recovery Software on the first DVD. The restore process starts and begins copying files from each DVD. However, after copying from the fifth DVD, the program instructs me to insert DVD 6. There is no sixth disk! The process will not continue and the only option is to cancel the recovery process.

I checked the HP website and couldn't find any support information. A HP employee suggested I order a set of HP recovery disks. But s/he could not or would not explain how the recovery disks would work to solve the problem. Anything I can find on the net about the recovery discs doesn't show that they can be used to restore backup files or resolve this problem. It appears that the disks can be only used to create back up files, not recover.

Can anyone provide any advise on how I can restore the files on the 5 DVD's?

thanks!

Hellfire13

Respectable
Apr 20, 2016

Hellfire13

Respectable
Apr 20, 2016
this is something i found...see if it works....

"You might be able to use a workaround. You say that the recovery manager doesn't recognize the folder or files. If the backup was done using HP Recovery Manager from a different system, there should be a ReocveryMgr.exe file with the backup .wim files. Is this the executable you are running that is not recognizing the files?
If the recoverymgr.exe file in the backup is not working, then a workaround may be the only option remaining.
Download and install 7-zip.
Next, open 7-Zip and navigate to the .wim files. Right-click a .wim file and select 7-Zip>Open Archive. This should let you view and extract the files to a location on the PC. I know this isn't ideal, but it should give the option of getting your files back. "

also this...
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/58640248-8ada-4c7a-975e-b0d70dd164e6/accessing-data-in-swm-files-windows-7?forum=w7itprogeneral

Maramonsk

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
The HP backup process writes a restore executable on the first DVD. Running this program is susposed to restore the flies on the DVD set. It doesn't work. I don't want to pay HP for recovery disks that may or may not work. I tried to use the Windows Backup/Restore program, but it won't read the HP archive files. While researching solutions I found while the HP backup program created 5 disks, the last one was blank. The archives have a swm extension. I found that ExtractNow can read these archives. ExtractNow extracted the directory structure and a lot of the files! ExtractNow extracted about 2,900 files from the remaining 178 archives. Most of the 2,900 were garbage. The HP backup program is useless.

I will be very appreciative of any advice on how to recover the rest of the data.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.