Results from Adware Cleaner I do not understand...

Vinyl_Is_King

Commendable
Apr 10, 2016
Recently, I downloaded a file and said file unfortunately came with a PUP "OpenCandy-D" to which I promptly did a boot-scan and got rid of 5 infected files, and when Windows booted back up I downloaded Hitman Pro and scanned and got rid of any cookies I had ensuring none led to OC again...

Now, I have also ran Adware Cleaner and I do not know what these results mean..

vP2hPcA.png

Solution
Full disclosure: I really do not know what the results mean either beyond just the usual Registry paths.....

However, the general explanation is that that is code in the registry used for ads and pop-ups. Malicious or otherwise.

Basically AdwCleaner and other similiar products know how to search, find, and identify such code.

AdwCleaner has found some and will delete any registry entry that you leave checked.

The idea is that if you see the name of some software product you do use or recognize it may be best to leave that entry alone (uncheck it) pending further investigation.

Always do a registry backup first then let the cleaner do its job and delete the ad related registry entries.

And all ad-cleaners are not created equal...
Full disclosure: I really do not know what the results mean either beyond just the usual Registry paths.....

However, the general explanation is that that is code in the registry used for ads and pop-ups. Malicious or otherwise.

Basically AdwCleaner and other similiar products know how to search, find, and identify such code.

AdwCleaner has found some and will delete any registry entry that you leave checked.

The idea is that if you see the name of some software product you do use or recognize it may be best to leave that entry alone (uncheck it) pending further investigation.

Always do a registry backup first then let the cleaner do its job and delete the ad related registry entries.

And all ad-cleaners are not created equal. Some will miss one thing and find another. Some are better at registry cleaning, some at cookie removal.

Key point is to always have the registry backed up and be ready to recover should a deleted registry entry cause a problem.

Solution