Returning a laptop. How to remove my information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Santos

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
Hello. I bought a Lenovo Y520 from Costco for $800. i7 7700hq, 16gb ddr4, 256gb ssd, 2tb hd, gtx 1050ti... really an awesome machine. However I'm seeing tons of complaints from owners and users stating that many have a defective keyboard. Several months later some keys would no longer work and the only fix would be a replacement. While Costco extends the warranty for close to 3 years, I still would rather not have to send my unit in and wait weeks to be serviced.

I see that one can buy replacement keyboards from Ebay and perform the swap themselves. The way the keyboard in mounted on the shell is what looks like a plastic rivet. It can be sliced off but putting it back together appears to be a challenge.

Anyways, I uninstalled all the software I installed. I deleted and removed my Microsoft user/login. However my OneDrive account still shows. I don't see any logout functions. I don't want to change my password. Anyone know the best way to remove any traces of me from a Win 10 laptop prior to returning it?

captaincharisma

Distinguished

i would not recommend that for warranty purposes since manufactures want the original config of the laptop back and if you blow off the recovery partition that could cause problems

they are servicing your laptop so there is no reason for them to see or recover any deleted data off your PC. using system recovery is all you need to do

Status
Not open for further replies.