Solved! returning to factory device that does not start

May 3, 2019
Dear all,

I am posting this question since I was unable to find a solution by myself.

I bought recently an android mobile that stopped working for no reason 2 weeks after purchase. I cant start or force start it and it does not have the led charge on when plugged to a charger.

I have to return it to have my money back and this is the point were I have doubts.

The retail store asked me to return it unblocked and with my data deleted. They say that if it is blocked they will not return the money paid for it, Since I cant turn it on, I cant do a factory reset or unblock it. I think they will accept the return with the mobile off. I was thinking to do a remote deletion but I am concerned that if they find out that the mobile is blocked when fixed they will not return my money.

1. I would be much thankful if I could receive advice on how to return to factory a not working mobile deleting my personal and work data.

2. Is it possible that in addition to my previous question that the shop once they have fixed the mobile, they can use the device again. I do not want to prevent them from doing so as I feel it would be unfare.

Thanks in advance for your help

Solution
If the phone won't turn on, there is nothing you can do to wipe the data. To use any remote wipe, the phone has to be actually connected to something to get that command.

The phone is just like anything else that won't turn on, it's a brick. There is nothing you can do now except send it back as is for a refund.
If the phone won't turn on, there is nothing you can do to wipe the data. To use any remote wipe, the phone has to be actually connected to something to get that command.

The phone is just like anything else that won't turn on, it's a brick. There is nothing you can do now except send it back as is for a refund.

Reactions: webworkings
Solution

mahardikahandoko

Prominent
Apr 22, 2018
Hello, soneu!

Based on your story you were bought that phone 2 weeks ago, right? if you bought from official store, you can always bring it to service center with no money since it still on warranty. also i don't know why you're scared about your phone being blocked if you aren't using it for illegal things.

But still, i need to answer your question ;)

1. You can always use Find My Device to remotely delete your data (or ring it, in case if you lost your phone).
  2. oh this is also in addition to my previous answer :D Fortunately, you can also lock your device from Find My Device. it'll lock your phone right after it turned up and connected to internet.

Hope this will help you ;)
Good Luck!

May 3, 2019
Hello, soneu!

Based on your story you were bought that phone 2 weeks ago, right? if you bought from official store, you can always bring it to service center with no money since it still on warranty. also i don't know why you're scared about your phone being blocked if you aren't using it for illegal things.

But still, i need to answer your question ;)

1. You can always use Find My Device to remotely delete your data (or ring it, in case if you lost your phone).
  2. oh this is also in addition to my previous answer :D Fortunately, you can also lock your device from Find My Device. it'll lock your phone right after it turned up and connected to internet.
Hope this will help you ;)
Good Luck!

First of all, thanks a lot for your reply. :)

FYI, the phone was purchased on eBay. Brand new but with no guarantee from manufacturer, only from the retail store.

The ebay seller offers me a refund ONLY if I send them the phone unlocked and back to factory settings, but this is not possible since it does not start. It is dead.

So, if I want to have my money back, the eBay seller said that once they repair the device, it must be unlocked for unknown reasons.

The problem is that if I use "find my device" my personal data will be deleted (I like this), once they fix and start the phone, but since it would be locked ( as far as I know when using this “find my device option), it is of no help unless there is a way to do this but without locking the phone.

So, I need

to remotely delete the data once they are able to resuscitate the mobile in order to protect all my pics (from year 2000 with my sons and family) and emails, personal and work stored in the device.

That the method for deleting remotely will not lock the phone, so I can have my refund.

Sorry about the tricky question and of course I have never used my phone for illegal things. It was no doubt an unnecessary remark, although I am grateful for your help.

Kind regards,

mahardikahandoko

Prominent
Apr 22, 2018
First of all, thanks a lot for your reply. :)

FYI, the phone was purchased on eBay. Brand new but with no guarantee from manufacturer, only from the retail store.

The ebay seller offers me a refund ONLY if I send them the phone unlocked and back to factory settings, but this is not possible since it does not start. It is dead.

So, if I want to have my money back, the eBay seller said that once they repair the device, it must be unlocked for unknown reasons.

The problem is that if I use "find my device" my personal data will be deleted (I like this), once they fix and start the phone, but since it would be locked ( as far as I know when using this “find my device option), it is of no help unless there is a way to do this but without locking the phone.

So, I need

to remotely delete the data once they are able to resuscitate the mobile in order to protect all my pics (from year 2000 with my sons and family) and emails, personal and work stored in the device.

That the method for deleting remotely will not lock the phone, so I can have my refund.

Sorry about the tricky question and of course I have never used my phone for illegal things. It was no doubt an unnecessary remark, although I am grateful for your help.

Kind regards,

You can delete your data without locking your device (it'll show something like you saw when you bought your phone) by selecting "Delete Your Work Profile" it will delete ALL YOUR DATA and factory reset your phone

FYI, this is what i found in Google's Android Help:
Erase
Permanently deletes all data on your device (but might not delete SD cards). After you erase, Find My Device won't work on the device.
You can check full guide in this link

Good Luck! ;)