Reutilising laptop parts

Feb 23, 2018
I managed to cause serious water damage to my old laptop. Everything apart from the RAM and GPU were damaged beyond repair. I have since bought a new laptop. However, it got me wondering; would it be possible for me to whip the old GPU and RAM out, and reuse them somehow? (Perhaps sticking the GPU in a thunderbolt EGPU adapter and the unsoldered RAM in my new lappy)? Interested to know what you would do?

Solution
GPU in damaged laptop may not be removable as such (may be integrated in the CPU or a standalone GPU soldered to the main board as is often the case with laptops unless it's a discrete card as fitted to laptops with dual/switchable graphics).

RAM wouldn't be compatible with new laptop unless it's the same type and spec.

All in all, neither component is worth salvaging in my opinion, especially as there is probably a considerable age difference between the old and the new laptop, making compatibility of components very unlikely.
GPU in damaged laptop may not be removable as such (may be integrated in the CPU or a standalone GPU soldered to the main board as is often the case with laptops unless it's a discrete card as fitted to laptops with dual/switchable graphics).

RAM wouldn't be compatible with new laptop unless it's the same type and spec.

All in all, neither component is worth salvaging in my opinion, especially as there is probably a considerable age difference between the old and the new laptop, making compatibility of components very unlikely.

Solution