'Reverse' Vending Machine Rewards Recycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Not really caring about this. Here in Oregon we pay a deposit, we recycle, and we get our money back. Something like this won't really matter. I guess maybe for water bottles, although our state is trying to include those in the deposit program as well.

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
I've seen other recycling machines that just give you the deposit back. Not sure how revolutionary this is except that you can only get rewards items instead of anything you can buy with money. Does this work on non deposit cans and bottles? Then it's pretty kewl.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
In Aurora Colorado, there is a machine like this already, but it pays in actual money, and is just for aluminum. Last time I went over there, I got $5 for 7 full bags of cans. It was kind of a pain to unload, as it takes in single cans and not full bags, but it works ok.

I'd rather have real cash than some points redeemable for more trash.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Wow just a decade behind the competition. I have had a aluminum can recycle since about 1995 maybe even later. You push a button, throw all your cans in a hole and you get Quarters based on how many pounds of aluminum you gave. The few dollars you get is not worth the trouble of storing cans for 2-4 weeks.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]klavis[/nom]Not really caring about this. Here in Oregon we pay a deposit, we recycle, and we get our money back. Something like this won't really matter. I guess maybe for water bottles, although our state is trying to include those in the deposit program as well.[/citation]
I live in Canada, we also have a Recycle program... in fact i don't know anyone who doesn't recycle there beer/pop cans.

Last summer we saved our cans and bottles from 2 months @ the lake and returned it for over $250. I could not imagine scanning each can into this machine! we had 1000's

Cudo's for trying to make a difference but the machine only holds 300 cans! thats 12 flats only.... the first person @ the bottle depot will have more then 12 flats.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]schwiing[/nom]"Dream Machine"? Sounds like an apple product.[/citation]
Nah, sounds like Apple marketing. Apple tends to need an iBeforeTheProductName.

gbismack

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
This looks like a modified bin that we have at every supermarket here in Michigan, for our 10 cent refund.

300 cans is 1-2 people returning cans from home, and will fill up in no time.

G

The point of these thigns is to help make recycling easier for the uninitiated by placing a machine right in front of your face. For those states near large bodies of water, take Michigan for example, they want to reduce the amount of highly recyclable materials, like cans and bottles. It's not all about the money, although I wish more states DID increase the deposit to 10 cents per can, and had deposit machines in stores, then it would be worth time to recycle.

yzfr1guy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Dream Machine = Maximum PC ub3r rig!!

I think this recycle machine will expend about as much energy in power then it's worth to recycle a few cans. Another worthless idea for big company tax write offs in an effort for a Greener Country. A true green effort would be to legalize marijuana!!!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Can deposit programs are scams. I grew up in a state without can deposits. Growing up, I always thought that you just got 5 or 10 cents back for the can. Not until I moved to a state with deposits did I realize that you actually paid the deposit to the store when you purchased the product. Yeah, they collect 5 or 10 cents for each can and bottle from you. You have to redeem the cans to get your own money back!

If they just made recycling easier, more people would do it. My home-state has curb-side recycling. You throw all your cans and plastics into a single bag, they collect it every week like the garbage, and they sort it at the recycling center. That's a hell of a lot easier than charging me 10 cents that I then have to redeem by feeding individual cans into the machine at the store.

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
These have existed in Germany for years. As there is a deposit for each can/bottle you buy, everyone brings them back to the store to get the deposit back.
So, they are not "Scam", they are a way to encourage people to actually recycle. Unfortunately, people don't usually care, until it hits their wallet.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Can deposit programs are scams. ... Not until I moved to a state with deposits did I realize that you actually paid the deposit to the store when you purchased the product.[/citation]
Well yeah, that's what "deposit" means.

Not sure this particular design is so hot, though. Only 300 cans? I could fit more than that into a small trash bag. Is there a reason they didn't incorporate a can crusher?

smashley

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I'm guessing this is intended for people just out and no recycle-bins are close by, to encourage recycling rather than throwing it away. With a capacity of only 300 cans this is clearly not intended for people who save up their cans/bottles for a few weeks/months and then fill up the station to get some points.
I'll agree with the poster above that the energy this machine consumes likely causes more damage to the environment (at least if it runs from fossil fueled power plants) than recycling a few cans would off-set.

Status
Not open for further replies.