Review: Hands On With Zune HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
considering the Zune app store will only have been open for fewer than two days when this article is published, it’s not that big a deal.
can you mention this on the page where you test the apps?

Good article! Brought some of the lesser known features out and reviewed them thoroughly!

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Excellent article! Wow, I wanted one before, but thought it might be best to wait and see if the price comes down. Now I'm thinking, where's my wallet? :)

nirvanabah

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Just a little info: the "Easter Egg" you found (Hello From Seattle) was also on the back of the original Zune.

More on topic, can't wait to purchase one of these! Great review!

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Quick Question:
Do I NEED the dock to plug the zune HD to my hdtv or is it optional?

Slow Question:
Can I browse regular webpages with it?

radiowars

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]SirCrono[/nom]Quick Question:Do I NEED the dock to plug the zune HD to my hdtv or is it optional?Slow Question:Can I browse regular webpages with it?[/citation]
1) Yes, you do. It's 80$ from what I've heard.

2) Yes, but you have to click on the non-mobile button after the page loads (shouldn't take more than a second) and then it will load the full version. It's like the PSP browser.

Sushi Warrior

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
[citation][nom]SirCrono[/nom]Quick Question:Do I NEED the dock to plug the zune HD to my hdtv or is it optional?Slow Question:Can I browse regular webpages with it?[/citation]

You can use the old dock that sells for $20 but it won't play HD.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]radiowars[/nom]1) Yes, you do. It's 80$ from what I've heard. 2) Yes, but you have to click on the non-mobile button after the page loads (shouldn't take more than a second) and then it will load the full version. It's like the PSP browser.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Sushi Warrior[/nom]You can use the old dock that sells for $20 but it won't play HD.[/citation]

Thanks for the quick (and slow xD) answers.

The dock thing is kinda a bummer though.

zx6r6

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
@manjyomethunder

It's possible the iPhone doesn't have square pixels, either that or they've made a mistake with the figures.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Wow...
$80 for the dock, damn.
Just sounds like a really portable video player to me. It would make it easier to play my downloaded films on my TV. All I need is a Zune HD, Zune HD HDMI dock, and a HDMI cable... not sounding all to great any more ($$$)...

rescawen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i don't live in America so i cant get it, otherwise i would have pre-ordered it. with the dock. imagine using the dock controller to play actual 3d games on tv, taking tegra and arm 11 to the limits.

G

You didn't go into my favorite feature, wireless sync. I love leaving my zune in my car in the garage, and finding new podcasts every morning when I drive to work.

axilon

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Something neat, when tied to a comp via USB it will run through the PCs network (I was pulling up web-pages with wifi off and did a double take yesterday). Makes web-pages a bit faster but doesn't do much else. Suppose its an easy way to download if ones wifi is odd, but you have the zune software already to do this... so... redundant?

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
A few notes. First, thanks for all the comments, it was very helpful for the update.

manjyomethunder, your math is correct. The Touch has a 3:2 screen ratio. I'd love to say it was a typo, but it was just wrong information. I myself checked the numbers before, but saw what I thought was concrete info about it being 4:3. Obviously, a poor source we won't be using anymore.

fartblossom, we didn't go into wireless sync too much (did more in the update) because it's not a new feature. I like it very much, but I don't like how it only works on one network. In my house, we've got 3 wi-fi networks on the same router, so unless I'm in the vicinity of my home office, I can't sync wirelessly.

One thing we're not sure about, and waiting for more feedback on, is whether the Zune HD supports ad-hoc networking. Our tests show that it does not, but it could be a problem with our device, since realistically it should be identical to making your laptop into a wi-fi hotspot.

What do you guys think of it so far?

G

Great article, but I disagree on two fronts. First I think apps work fine - the poker is quite enjoyable to play. Second and more important, is it seems that you are familiar with typing on the iphone. I just recently started testing an iphone app and haven't used the keyboard before and had had horrible time typing on it. keypresses are noted on initial touch where with the zune they are enacted upon release and you have some room to adjust prior to selecting the key. I thought I was going to have problems with the zune given my iphone experience and it works phenomenal for me. Actually, really like it and had to double check my first URL was i typed into it was 100% correct. (and this was in before i realized i could type in landscape mode).

Status
Not open for further replies.