Review: Nokia E75 vs. Samsung Propel Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

rundll32

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
"The E75 also has a front 0.8 megapixel camera for self portraits and video conferencing, which is an unusual feature for a smart phone. We’re not sure how many people would take advantage of this “vanity” camera, at least for business calls, but the image is good enough for a quick VoIP chat with video."

What?
The camera is for normal video calls, that's it. I you want to take a photo of yourself, you'd use the 3,2 Mpxl camera, of course.
Unusual feature for a smart phone? Well, don't know about that, 'cause I don't have a smart phone, but I haven't ever seen any phone which is video call capable, without this second camera.

"But the real question is whether either of these two phones perform well enough to take on larger smart phone companies, like RIM and Apple."

LOL. Nokia is by far world's largest phone and smart phone producer. By far.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]rundll32[/nom]"The E75 also has a front 0.8 megapixel camera for self portraits and video conferencing, which is an unusual feature for a smart phone. We’re not sure how many people would take advantage of this “vanity” camera, at least for business calls, but the image is good enough for a quick VoIP chat with video."What?The camera is for normal video calls, that's it. I you want to take a photo of yourself, you'd use the 3,2 Mpxl camera, of course.Unusual feature for a smart phone? Well, don't know about that, 'cause I don't have a smart phone, but I haven't ever seen any phone which is video call capable, without this second camera."But the real question is whether either of these two phones perform well enough to take on larger smart phone companies, like RIM and Apple."LOL. Nokia is by far world's largest phone and smart phone producer. By far.[/citation]
Hey Rundle,

The article states that the small camera is for video calls--but calling it a vanity camera doesn't mean we think it is just for photos. We mean it is for video of yourself (which, c'mon, is kind of "vain"). It is definitely not a common feature on smart phones.

You're right--Nokia sells the most smart phones worldwide. We should probably specify in our article that we are referring to the U.S. market (we almost always are referring to the U.S. market on Tom's Guide).

In case anyone is interested in recent market share data: http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=985912

rundll32

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Let me continue shortly.

Consider yourself making a video call. How do you then use your phone? You'll have it in front of you and you'll be watching the screen so you can see the person you are talking to, right. Now, this definetely requires that your phone has a camera next to it's screen, otherwise the other person won't see you on his phone, right. So, not having this little 0,8 Mpx camera on your phone is plain stupid. So I can't even imagine a video call capable smartphone without this other camera. It would be straight from the stone age and virtually not useable for video calls.

As of what comes to the size of the manufacture I think it is a valuable piece of info to know weather the company in question is a big time world leader but small in USA or just small.

That said, thanks for your quick response and an interesting review.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]rundll32[/nom]Let me continue shortly.Consider yourself making a video call. How do you then use your phone? You'll have it in front of you and you'll be watching the screen so you can see the person you are talking to, right. Now, this definetely requires that your phone has a camera next to it's screen, otherwise the other person won't see you on his phone, right. So, not having this little 0,8 Mpx camera on your phone is plain stupid. So I can't even imagine a video call capable smartphone without this other camera. It would be straight from the stone age and virtually not useable for video calls.As of what comes to the size of the manufacture I think it is a valuable piece of info to know weather the company in question is a big time world leader but small in USA or just small.That said, thanks for your quick response and an interesting review.[/citation]
I guess perhaps the writer was expressing his opinion that showing yourself in a video call is vain. But that's just his opinion! I know what you are saying, don't worry.

For the record, we all know Nokia is pretty "small" in the U.S.--hardly any of their smart phones are even available to U.S. consumers via the wireless carriers! We love Nokia--we wish their phones could come to the U.S. carriers. That's our vote. But until that happens, Nokia unfortunately is off the radar because unlocked phones are so expensive.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Nokia is poised for a takeover in the US. I live in LA and they have major advertising schemes placed everywhere and even bought out buildings next to the staples center and called it Nokia live which is a one stop live entertainment are. T-mobile is already supporting a couple of phones and I'm sure it won't be too long before all the carriers have some type of nokia phone.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]teh_boxzor[/nom]Nokia is poised for a takeover in the US. I live in LA and they have major advertising schemes placed everywhere and even bought out buildings next to the staples center and called it Nokia live which is a one stop live entertainment are. T-mobile is already supporting a couple of phones and I'm sure it won't be too long before all the carriers have some type of nokia phone.[/citation]
We can hope! But I'll believe it when I see it.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Lotus Notes on the E75? I worked at a company that was still using Lotus Notes a year ago. It was the clunkiest, most cumbersome and difficult to use software I had ever seen. I can only hope their mobile version is much better.

The E75 sounds like a nice phone, but without dealer subsidies (i.e. discounts w/ plan), it may not take off very well here in the U.S. As the mobile companies always say, we're spoiled here.

CaptainRon

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
When you say "the mobile companies always say, we're spoiled here." Do you mean the mobile companies think U.S. consumers are spoiled or the companies themselves?

If you meant the consumers, wireless rates are typically cheaper, more feature rich and often require no contracts outside the United States. Notice I said typically. Of course if you mean the companies are spoiled here, then I totally agree :) Obviously the subsidies make the phones reasonable, but when you factor the contract and high monthly charges, it hardly seems as if we are getting a bargain in the United States.

erichlund

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I'm a little surprised that the HTC Fuze was not included in this comparison, since it is the other, lesser well known Smartphone in the AT&T lineup. It also has a 640x480 screen and the same sort of keyboard as the Nokia.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
It's called a "vanity" camera for the same reason the vanity mirrors in your car are named that. It's not an opinion, it's just a fact that having a camera facing its user at all times is a vanity camera, regardless of its use. Bear in mind that there's nothing wrong with a vanity camera or mirror...they're quite useful!

While I don't use Lotus Notes hellwig, my brother does. I'd say you wouldn't believe how often he complains about it, but if you use it, you probably would.

The Fuze wasn't included because it's already a dated model.

Status
Not open for further replies.