RIAA Attacks FM Radio Stations Over Property Violations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vk_87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]B-Unit[/nom]Its simple really.When a streaming music service such as Pandora plays a song, the RIAA gets a payment for each account that plays the song. When a radio station plays it, they get one payment and millions potentially get to listen.Of course they hate the idea of you being able to listen to FM on your smartphone instead of streaming, less licensing $$ for them.[/citation]

True, but the payoff from a radio station will be bigger than that from a single Pandora a/c. This is just another MAFIAA tactic.

On another hand, maybe now there will be less radio chatter....

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Stopping the radio is really stepping over the boundaries. Apart that radio is used the traditional way, listening to music, but even if it was torrent-like pirate, that piracy would be ONE of the ways to use the device. Just as banning cars because one of the ways to use it is to run over people. I join the trend of "Die RIAA, DIE!!!" and I hope some politicians see sense in it, but politicians are rich b*s*a*d* that will go for what fills their pockets more, if possible to turn every human to an ant supporting them, they would, bigbrother and chinese-like control of life including. So, it's up to the voters to give RIAA the finger and show them who's boss, especially when laws are involved. If RIAA decides to close up their "property", including increasing fees to radio stations because there are more radio chips around, it's up to them. There are a lot of artists that enjoy what they do and do it for the good of all (open-source-artists :p). If these artists later after gaining a bit of popularity decide to go with RIAA (are bought by them), well, let them go make music for the sake of money, there will always be plenty of other artists that will want to give away their talents for enjoyment of arts, or other ways of revenue that google is very active about. Problem with this is that the rich b*s*a*d* might, or rather will sue them for any hypothetical similarity, that even if not existent will make it hard to impossible for the free artists to cope with the legal system. So, it will become "be part of them or don't use your artistic skills at all", which is wrong, but which is what very likely will happen. So, truly, thought it through, the RIAA needs to cease to exist, the sooner, the better. Artists can live without the 3rd pool in their mansion (south park making fun of metallica, but mostly true), but artists can't fully live if the pressure of RIAA is there.

johnny_2bags

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Does anyone actually listen to the radio anymore? I stopped many, many years ago. Stopped watching tv too. Thinking about it, I hope they DO stop playing music on the radio, maybe the RIAA will die a quicker death. I'm sure the stations wouldn't go for this however, as they use the music to get people to listen and sell advertising. There's too much money in it for them to stop. I'm sure they'll pay whatever fee needs to be paid to continue to be under the nazi's heel.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
So by that statement "every platform respects rights but FM" they implied that P2P is alright? Misspoken there, RIAA. Maybe you should go away.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I am just dumb founded by the RIAA. If I did not hate you for obvious reasons before, this action is just a plain, imo, a act of war against music no matter how it is listened to or obtained. Really FM broadcasts? The naziesque way you go after individuals who download music, some of whom you falsely accused, was not enough? Well I am just one person so I know it won't matter but the hell with it. You declared it, so be it. ITS WAR!!

Why on Earth would the
government mandate that FM radio chips should be built into mobile devices such as smartphone or tablets.
I absolutely cannot think of a reason why every mobile device should required to have an FM receiver (and not an AM receiver).
Unless, of course, they finally implement nationwide mind-control and it's transmitted via FM waves. Where did I put my tinfoil hat?

G

So if I play my radio at a party and say 30 people can hear it does that mean I've just commited 30 acts of piracy? Oh crap I have 300 + songs of AIC Metallica Nirvana etc etc, does that mean in a given night I've committed 9000 acts of Piracy? Oh no I just realized Cortney loves suing people for playing anything by Curt now I got another lawsuit.

G

First the corporate titans made FM radio the uniform, bland crap that it is now from back in the day when a car without an FM radio was a car without a radio. Now they want to destroy the only marketing mechanism that really worked for all those years to sell good music. Hey, RIAA, if nobody listens then nobody buys!. It really is as simple as that. I don't turn on the TV set to listen to music even though I have cable. FM radio is hardly what it once was in the US and now they want to destroy it altogether.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]teodoreh[/nom]I have a great proposal: Radio stations should play only non-RIAA licensed music. After a couple of months let's see who will win and who will loose from this situation. I bet RIAA would come back and beg them to play their content...[/citation]
woudltn work then the RIAA would jsut sue teh stations for using certain technologies involved in reproductionof recorded music (whch they own the patents on).

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Unfortunately there is much misinformation out there...
RIAA would have you believe that all they want is a fair deal. Radio stations ought to pay for using our music... They are mooching off of us by getting to broadcast it for free... (Yes, they do get to play for free). RIAA though, would rather you not know the other half of the story...

FM stations in the US do not pay for the music they play (However, any artist or record company can opt to put a song on the "Do Not Play List").

... Here is the second half of the deal ...

In turn, it is ILLEGAL for FM radio stations to accept money from record companies for giving their artists air time. So, RIAA gets to use the FM company's, and the DJ's, brand-recognition label and hard-earned reputation for free.
Record companies have always been desperate to get their new artists some FM airtime. So much so, they often resorted to bribery. Hence the notorious "Payola" scandals of the 50's.

... So thats the deal that FM Radio and RIAA had....

Now that FM radio held up their end of the bargain, throughout the decades, RIAA wants to change the rules in the middle of the game...

Their logic is...
"
Gosh darn it, these days we just can't seem to come up with any new corporate board-room manufactured artist/bands who's albums, for which, kids would be willing to part with their money, otherwise saved up for far more entertaining video games. Yet, look at how many classic albums those kids buy! Made by those artists of past, who didn't worship money, and defied corporate big-wigs by making the music they wanted rather than what the marketplace dictated.

They gave our now well-established artists, who's material just mints money, the exposure they needed but that's in the past... Now we'll simply lobby Congress so that we can weasel out of this deal.
"

G

Riaa Collects 105 million in the interest of the artist, and the artist get zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.