RIAA Settle With Mother, Kids for $7,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks this is insane? Oh we lost, but you got kids right, so well just go after them. When is it going to be enough? When are the people going to demand that the RIAA stop their bullying?

nirvanabah

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Suing kids for downloading music? This is pathetic. If the mother got away with it, couldn't they argue an 11 year old honestly didn't know any better?

gimpy1

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
If you makes you feel any better, I have no doubt (as a law clerk to a federal judge) that the RIAA spent a couple hundred-thousand dollars to bring this case. From Feb '05 till today...that's a lot of billable hours for it's attorneys.

I hope it was worth it.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]nirvanabah[/nom]If the mother got away with it, couldn't they argue an 11 year old honestly didn't know any better?[/citation]
Yeah, that is always a winning position to take. I hate RIAA and MPAA for how they do business, but if you are going to argue with them, then you need a much better argument than, I was ignorant. The mother not knowing how to use a computer is a justifiable defense, because then the worst they could do is find her stupid for not knowing what was going on with the computer her kids were using, because she was not the one using the computer. The worst thing she could be found guilty of would be aiding and abetting, but that pretty much requires intent, which would be extremely difficult to prove, and would amount to needing a credible witness that can say they heard her tell her kids something that goes along the lines of, "I cannot afford to buy you music, so steal it from others, here is a computer and an internet connection to do it with, ok kids?"

I sure am glad that I am a lamer who appreciates the 80's and early 90's music to the new stuff, so I am at least not supporting these companies anymore.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Songs should be free if I want them to be free. What's next? Will they make shoplifting illegal even if you really want the item?

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I think this has more to do with trying to make kids scared than to make money,etc. Fear, if used correctly can be very effective (read: Sun Tzu if you haven't already). Any ways, like all teens they can't kill piracy. It's part of the mainstream now. I would say about 20% of most people's songs in their MP3s are pirated. lol

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Thats just insane how can you even go after the kids after 7 years not to mention when the committed this act nether was legal adult. How did the RIAA get away with this? I guess if someones kid does something to me I take parents to court and lose all I gotta do is wait for the kid to turn 18 and sue the kid? This is insane I really think a judge would have laughed this out of court since both where minors and the parents suit fell thought. Give me a break does the RIAA not get that at first maybe people believed in what they where doing was right but at this rate I think people should just stop supporting the music industry period tell they drop the RIAA. Listen to the radio I sure would not buy anymore CD's or songs from record labels that are affiliated with the RIAA maybe if they started losing a massive amount of sales they would finally understand what there doing is just as bad as the people who download music. Intimidating people and going after children is just wrong and thats what there doing.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I like the search for "Ninja" in Kazaa as the picture.

There needs to be some hard laws about the timeline for these types of lawsuits. Essentially two [legal] adults are being treated as adults for things they did when they were kids. This case should have been settled six years ago. What they did was wrong, but it seems the settlement is decided as though they recently were sharing files (as adults).

If file sharing is meant to be taken as seriously as shop lifting, then the punishment needs to be consistent with shop lifting. I understand the kids were distributing the files, but you can do the same with stolen CDs (burn them, for example). I highly doubt children would be ordered to pay $7000 for stealing CDs at age 11 and 15. There would be some type of payment for damages, return the stolen goods, and juvenile hall. That should have been the settlement six years ago.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]What's next? Will they make shoplifting illegal even if you really want the item?[/citation]
It is, and always has been..........

cdrgary

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Honestly this is ridiculous. They have just proven that they are the greediest bastards on the face of the earth, and somehow they sound proud of it.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I hate the music industry. After they stared suing I stopped purchasing legally. Now I pirate ALL music using various methods. I'll never purcahse music again - ever.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation]Songs should be free if I want them to be free. What's next? Will they make shoplifting illegal even if you really want the item?[/citation]

LOL enjoy the downward thumbs! Remember, this is Tom's Hardware (and software/media as long as it's free to me). Acting as if Copyright is some sort of law will get you the boot.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
good and when the ISP's are forced to hand over their records of who's downloading what, have fun...

I don't like how Coca Cola prices bottled water more expensive then a bottle of coca cola in a lot of developing country's but i still drink the stuff.

I really do hope they start going after you pirate bastards. Its a form of theft thus making all pirates criminals

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]LOL enjoy the downward thumbs! Remember, this is Tom's Hardware (and software/media as long as it's free to me). Acting as if Copyright is some sort of law will get you the boot.[/citation]
If you get thumbs down its because people find your comments aren't contributing to the argument (and you're just insulting people).

Making a statement while adding no substance to an argument will get you thumbs down. The issue with copyright infringement is a political one and includes several differing views, much like issues about pre-marital sex, abortion, gay marriage, etc. Ignoring those who disagree with you be very productive.

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]macer1[/nom]good and when the ISP's are forced to hand over their records of who's downloading what, have fun...I don't like how Coca Cola prices bottled water more expensive then a bottle of coca cola in a lot of developing country's but i still drink the stuff.I really do hope they start going after you pirate bastards. Its a form of theft thus making all pirates criminals[/citation]
Again, attacking those who disagree with you won't help resolve the issue. Its like saying "I hope all those mothers that have abortions are tried as murderers because that's what an abortion is, murder".

Clearly, there's a disagreement between the effects of 'copying' media and sharing it. The very statement that it is 'stealing' is hard to apply when the act of 'copying' doesn't produce the same effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.