Solved! Right AV receiver for Sony Shake 6D Speakers

adikumar2010

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I have Sony Shake 6D :
Specifications
Manual

Problem is that the AV Receiver is busted and can't be repaired by Sony, now I wanted to build a custom home theater setup 5.2 or 7.2
But I am not sure which AV receiver are their in the market which will work with those speakers as they are very high power rated.

My plan is to use these existing speaker as front left/right channel and it has 2 sub-woofer already in the unit also.

Please suggest a suitable AV receiver under $1000 which can power these speakers.

Also please let me know what center and rear channel speaker would be fine with those Sony 6D speakers under $800 for all the remaining speakers

Specs of 6D speakers :
1.png

Solution
The power specs that you provide are a sales tool and not realistic when comparing ratings with AVRs. Those are rated more stringently although the manufacturers have figured out how to get around that lately.
Any 100 watt per channel into 4 ohm with all speakers driven AVR should work fine.
The problems are
  1. The subwoofers are not powered so you would need to add an amp to drive them. AVRs do not contain sub amps.
  2. You will not find a compatible center channel. Matching the three front speakers is important. Matching the front to the rears much less important so you could use the speakers as your rears to save some money.
Given that you have an $1800 budget I suggest you get an AVR, three front speakers and a self powered...
The power specs that you provide are a sales tool and not realistic when comparing ratings with AVRs. Those are rated more stringently although the manufacturers have figured out how to get around that lately.
Any 100 watt per channel into 4 ohm with all speakers driven AVR should work fine.
The problems are
  1. The subwoofers are not powered so you would need to add an amp to drive them. AVRs do not contain sub amps.
  2. You will not find a compatible center channel. Matching the three front speakers is important. Matching the front to the rears much less important so you could use the speakers as your rears to save some money.
Given that you have an $1800 budget I suggest you get an AVR, three front speakers and a self powered sub. You will get a much better result than trying to get those speakers to work as fronts.

Solution

adikumar2010

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
The problems are
Given that you have an $1800 budget I suggest you get an AVR, three front speakers and a self powered sub. You will get a much better result than trying to get those speakers to work as fronts.

Now I summarized the issue as follows :

I have Sony Shake 6D Service Manual

I have few queries :

1) Does anyone know the reason behind "Protect E03" error on the AVR even without speaker connected, now service center technician said that it is fault in the motherboard and they don't have replacement mobo for it. Also they said they can't do component level repair to make it work.

2) Now I wanted to build a custom home theater setup 5.2 or 7.2 for movies/games. But I am not sure which AV receiver are their in the market which will work with those speakers. These speakers are very powerful I just don't want to throw them into the bin coz they do give sick music output. Problem is I can't find any AV Receiver with 4 Ohm impedance.

These Sony speakers should suffice as left/right front channel and 2 sub-woofer for my new home theater as they have separate cable for both inputs. I want to use them as front channel and sub-woofer as it will save me lot of money rather then spending money in buying separate front channel and sub-woofer for a new home theater setup.

3) What if I run these speakers with a 6 Ohm AV Receiver? as most 7.2 AVR are 6 Ohms minimum and not blast to full volumes

4) Also in the spec sheet it says 2400 watts, but what's the actual RMS is it 2400W or 1400W? as I don't know what rated and reference means. If I can't know the real RMS then I can't find proper amplifier for them.

5) The problem might be that I need really humongous rear/center channel speakers also to match them but what if I tweak the power output settings in the amplifier to make these Sony speakers run at lower power/decibels then rest of the center/rear speakers so they don't over power the remaining center/rear speakers?

6) If I buy a 5.2 or 7.2 AVR with (2 Line Out/Pre-Out Sub Woofer) then do I need to add another amplifier to drive the sub-woofer unit of my Sony Shake 6D speakers?

7) And even if I buy a Home-Theater-In-A-Box 5.1 for movies & games separately.
Is there any way I can use these left over Sony speakers, coz I really like them for music?

8) Also these are the wires and back side of console :

- Blue one has 4 wires and is for sub-woofer only. Now on all AVRs there are only 2 wires for each sub. But here we have 4 wires coming out from each sub but they are joining into 2 connectors ultimately, so it might be possible that they have just split the wires into 2 each for positive and negative terminal rather then using single thicker wire ?
So I don't understand how will I connect 4 sub-woofer wires to the new AVR or amp

- Big white connector with 2 wires is for woofer+tweeter combined. Problem is I am not sure where cross-over is located !! Inside speakers or in the Sony AVR

- Tiny white one is for LED which is just for lights

9) Please suggest a suitable AV receiver 7.2 or better under $700 which can power these speakers.
Also please let me know what center and rear channel speaker would be fine with those Sony 6D speakers under $500 for all the center and rear speaker (I need small rear speakers as I don't have space, will be mounting on the wall)

Back of AVR :
2.png

3.png

Wiring :
DhTR0mx.jpg

BqHxOYq.jpg
fds4tA4.jpg

Speaker Back :
baoQ4xW.jpg

Speakers Front:
download.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg