RIM: Active Multitasking Will Differentiate BlackBerry 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHComp

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I know I am a very very tiny minority, but I still have a blackberry. I was too lazy to learn a new OS last time I upgraded and now I am stuck with a very dated phone, but it works for me.

For that reason, I may have to give this new one a try before I switch to Android.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Even as a fan of Android, I really hope RIM does great with BlackBerry 10. More competition the better. Especially since Androids only competition atm actively is against any competition...

G

..What? Android already had this, and starting with Jelly Bean, has that exact functionality in a polished form. How is BB10 supposed to differentiate itself with this?

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Not exactly sure what they mean by active multitasking. However, if Windows 8 is a full OS and not a mobile one, then Blackberry will have a really hard time convincing that they are different.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Anon_498234[/nom]..What? Android already had this, and starting with Jelly Bean, has that exact functionality in a polished form. How is BB10 supposed to differentiate itself with this?[/citation]
Personally, I found that multitasking didn't change from ICS to JB. The only things I noticed were Google Now (I need to enable privacy infringing settings to use that, so I don't use it), speed, and the ability to swipe from the camera to the gallery.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Not sure why it didn't post the first time:

"We basically copied the N9."

Not a bad thing, it's still the best phone for multitasking.

kyzarvs

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Angry Birds is in the ApWorld store. Never played or even installed it so can't vouch for it's ease of use.

But anway - as much as I like BB, my original Bold (2009-2010?) was able to issue sat-nav spoken directions through bluetooth, whilst I was using on a call on speaker in the passenger seat to discuss an email I was reading on the screen - great multitasking is one of the reasons I use BB still, nothing new? If you want to swap apps, just hold the trackbutton down until a alt-tab-like screen appears and select the one you want...

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Hopefully RIM does this right. It's their last chance. BB10 is promising better battery life (plus the flagship phone is supposed to have a 2900mah battery), multitasking and productivity apps, and for those who like Angry Birds and such, its very easy to port android apps. I don't expect them to take a ton of the market, but more players in the smartphone market is always better for consumers.

G

I have a BB Playbook, and this is something that differentiates it from other mobile devices I have. It is like a computer in that you can get it doing more than one thing at a time.

G

I think the main issue with the phone is the March launch! New phones are coming out NOW, and we've just seen the release of the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy Note 2, with some Motorola phones and Windows 8 phones coming out very soon.
Anyone who gets a new phone now is not going to get a Blackberry 5 months later since they already have a phone. Not unless they have a particularly bad experience with the phone that they got.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I find webOS to have the current best multitasking, cards that are opened are running apps and they will and you can open as many apps as you want (until you run out of RAM, then you get the too many cards error), With android, multiple apps can run but the OS will randomly decide to close them (but their icon will still be in the recent apps list so you never truly know hoe many apps are running, and you run into issues when you go into another program for a while then head back to the browser only to find out that it closed it's self but saved the state and now every tab needs to reload.

Is it too much to ask for? Just have a touch friendly way of managing running apps but handle them the way a desktop OS does, eg in windows you now when a application is running and the OS will not randomly close them because you were in another active app for a while.

If blackberry wants to be successful their new Os better support android apps and it better have good multitasking in way where apps don't go into a sleep mode when minimized and where they don't save their state and close them self completely because you have not checked on them in the last 20 minutes.

Other than that, apps are the most important aspect. look as how webOS failed even though it has a better UI and far better multitasking and was more screen space efficient. The main issue was there were not enough apps and no one buys a computer smartphone and only uses what it comes with (how many of you bought a windows based PC and never installed any software.

How many of you would use windows if it has no additional apps and only allowed you to use what comes with the fresh install? The answer should be obvious and shows that the goal of a user choosing an OS is not the OS it's self but what they can do with it and run with it.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Long live WebOS!!!

Seriously though, I miss that phone and if it were to come back in some sort of way on good hardware and actually get some Dev love, it probably would take back quite a bit of market share.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
look as how webOS failed even though it has a better UI and far better multitasking and was more screen space efficient. The main issue was there were not enough apps and no one buys a computer smartphone and only uses what it comes with (how many of you bought a windows based PC and never installed any software.

So true... Loved my Pre.

Status
Not open for further replies.