RIM Announces Five New BlackBerry 7 Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Would these new phones have skype on them ? or should i stick to the iphone ?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I believe 2 phones would have been enough, one with full keyboard and one touch-only. Instead of 5 different (not so different ) phones they could have crammed these 2 phones with the latest hardware, bring them up to current trend's specs (3.7" screen is small by modern standards) and put the latest OS in them and let them loose. All BB users would have been all over them, because they would have combined the advantages of latest H/W with an OS they're familiar with.
That's my 2 cents. I think putting that kind of money in 5 "almost there" phones instead of 2 or 3 "we're the best" phones was a mistake.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
No storm with push button screen with up to date specs.... guess im not so mad i had to get an android after all :/ though i really miss my storm 2

G

I think all are a huge improvement over the 9800, especially the UI navigation, browsing, and some of their app integration. Im interested, but im also interested in waiting for the first QNX devices, which im sure will be on par with iOS and Android, but will BlackBerry already be under too much fire at that point by the media to get a good reception? Who knows.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Pfff. Blackberry claimed OS 5 was so much faster. It wasn't. They claimed OS 6 was even faster. It was actually much slower on my less than a year old phone. Jumped off my 6yr old Blackberry ship and onto Android.

The only thing RIM has going for them is security and the BES.

avidcomputerguy26

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
when products like mobile iron become affordable or a larger OEM like Apple or MS develop a cross platform/handset enterprise mgmt solution it will be the nail in the coffin to ol' RIM....

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
When I saw the title, my first thought was : wow, RIM is now making Windows Phone 7 phones? That's a bold move (no pun intended)! I didn't realize their OS was already 7. I hope they'll have more success than previous phones. The Touch seems particularly interesting.

It's a bit fishy that their only speed comparison is when browsing. What about the UI responsiveness? The apps speed? That's what people are interested in.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I still have the venerable Storm 2 and am actually pretty happy with it so a new Touch Screen BB is actually appealing. I mostly use my phone for email and messaging so my requirements aren't all that strict.

Until BB can get its app store act together better though I don't see them gaining any market share (and really only losing). They need to redo the store front and find new ways to attract developers to the platform.

G

until such time as they have full keyboard such as Droid 2, I will not change. They will also need to update their operating system

G

"The only thing RIM has going for them is security and the BES."

Actually neither is true anymore. RIM gives out encryption algorithms to any country who asks or be banned from sales, and gmail/exchange servers are just as reliable for push email as BES is, plus you get full HTML emails instead of RIM's crappy unformatted txt.

There is literally nothing beneficial about a blackberry over any phone these days.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I believe 2 phones would have been enough, one with full keyboard and one touch-only. Instead of 5 different (not so different ) phones they could have crammed these 2 phones with the latest hardware[/citation]

Consider some of those phones will go to specific carriers. Look at Samsung in which the same Galaxy phone has a slightly different body, but same exact guts for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint... so they can claim "Only at&T has the ABC Phone!". Normal business. This is/was same with TVs and VCRs... Best Buy can sell a SONY SLV-541, clame you won't find it lower... because the 541 is only sold by BestBuy, while other stores sold the SLV-540. The difference, maybe a slight color change.

LukeyB

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]handsomerob[/nom]"The only thing RIM has going for them is security and the BES."Actually neither is true anymore. RIM gives out encryption algorithms to any country who asks or be banned from sales, and gmail/exchange servers are just as reliable for push email as BES is, plus you get full HTML emails instead of RIM's crappy unformatted txt. There is literally nothing beneficial about a blackberry over any phone these days.[/citation]

Just about everything you just said is actually false :) . Take it from a guy who administers all of the mentioned platforms effectively.

LukeyB

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
These phones as a whole are decent. If they turned a chunky Java OS6 into this, imagine what they can do with QNX. Anyone who knows anything about this industry expects to see RIM fight back and hard. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.