RIM CEO 'Pushing' for Samsung to Purchase the Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRRhaire

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I would like to see Microsoft purchase RIM and integrate the staple RIM operating system features into the windows platform. RIM dominates the mobile business market and Microsoft dominates the productivity software market. Put them together and you have a great platform.

G

Top 5 company, I would say that could maintain Rimm's existence
1. Oracle
2. Ibm
3. Apple
4. Dell
5. Microsoft

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I would love to see RIM pull their head out of their backside and get back to creating products people really want. The playbook could have been great if it had all of the traditional black berry features on its own - built in email, messaging, bbm, etc. They could make phones that people want too, perhaps they could look into licensing Android with BB services (BBM, secure email, etc) as an additional layer that no one else has. It is extreamly hard for me to think of any company large enough to buy RIM that I would want to trust to run the kind of secure system that has made BBs so popular.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
Why did I have to use FireFox to post?!? Are the people running this site not able to make it work in Internet Explorer?

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Honestly, RIM is on it's last legs and so it is shark food. If you look at Symbian and webOS, I don't see much value in Blackberry OS, but since Samsung has little IP and/or experience in OS development it's probably better than nothing. BBM is nice, but it isn't what it used to be.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Aragorn[/nom]Why did I have to use FireFox to post?!? Are the people running this site not able to make it work in Internet Explorer?[/citation]
Maybe the people running IE should be the ones making their browser worth with this site?

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Aragorn[/nom]Why did I have to use FireFox to post?!? Are the people running this site not able to make it work in Internet Explorer?[/citation]
Why are you using IE anyway?

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I don't think Samsung will pay 15billion for a failed business....Samsung is doing very well in consumer market and one of the leaders in manufacring mobile CPUs and RAMs. They already have their own BADA OS, what can RIM offer?? Crap phone designs nobody cares, and a dying corporate market.....

Nope, Samsung is not going to pay 15b for this.

G

Were you dropped on your head as a child? Microsoft buys-out RIM and all BBM lovers will be dealing with more black-outs than we have seen since the creation of Blackberry!! Look at Skype, EPIC FAILURE of grand proportions!! Microsoft is always trying to "improve" and end up fudging it up worse!! Leave RIM to the Canadians!!! Heck Sign it over to the Waterloo Region, the municipal gov't here will straighten it out and turn it into a well oiled machine like it was in it's prime!!

interestingisit

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Samsung would actually benefit. General public only buy BBs for BBM... unless yur a business man.. then it's for its security. So if people were to find out they can now get BBM on a Samsung.. people will flock to Samsung! BBM + HOT SAMSUNG = pure LOVE. Plus BB has a huge business oriented market which Samsung doesn't really have. SO this could be awesome for Samsung. DO IT!!!! (I just want a BBM and a Samsung phone... apple must die)

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I still don't know what people's issues are with BB phones, they're great smart phones designed for business oriented customers.

The phone does everything it needs to for that environment, and the battery life is 4x what the consumer (ie app & gaming) phones are, my BB lasts a good week on a charge, my Galaxy S (personal phone) lasts 2-3 days if i don't use it, if i use it for an hour I'm lucky with 48 hours.

Yes the BB app store is small, yes there aren't many games, but BB was never marketed as a mobile gaming platform...

Good battery life, email, browser, BBM, security... security... security... MS Exchange integration with BIS & BES, they are leagues more advanced for the business consumer than any other smart phone manufacturer when it comes to things like this.

RIM has 2 major problems:
1. RIM sucks at marketing, they can't market their products, they fail to build the hype for a product launch, the products just appear on the shelf. Marketing is the biggest tool in the consumer sector, apple has people sleeping outside for 2 weeks before a product launch, because they know how to market to the consumer, they know how to build hype.
2. RIM sucks at release dates, if you say you're doing to do something by a certain date, make sure you actually get the product out in time (android integration for Playbook still hasn't happened). The next set of phones won't be out until the end of this year, etc, etc.

Basically thats it, market your product right, release it on time, people will buy it!

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Pretty expensive deal for basically a patent portfolio. I could see Google or Samsung trying to snap it up at the right price, but that would definitely put Google under more scrutiny if they made a move.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Google should purchase RIM like they did with Motorola. Android platform could use some security and manageability found in RIM's phone. Or Apple could purchase them and infuse their dull lineup mobile devices with magic, and everyone just go crazy about them again.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Why cant RIM just create a product and fight back? Android was nothing and now its kicking apples ass. So anything is possible. We can't just rely on iOS and Android. What happens if Andoid/Google become as bad as Apple, and there is no mobile OS out there to compete? We will be all screwed. Android is full of security holes and spyware. iOS get hacked every time a new version comes out. Open source is great, but then again hackers learn a lot about hacking a phone that hasn't been updated yet. SO having more options for an OS is a good thing.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]interestingisit[/nom]Samsung would actually benefit. General public only buy BBs for BBM... unless yur a business man.. then it's for its security. So if people were to find out they can now get BBM on a Samsung.. people will flock to Samsung! BBM + HOT SAMSUNG = pure LOVE. Plus BB has a huge business oriented market which Samsung doesn't really have. SO this could be awesome for Samsung. DO IT!!!! (I just want a BBM and a Samsung phone... apple must die)[/citation]
BB doesn't have a "huge business oriented" market anymore. That was maybe 7 years ago. Corporates is now on iPhones and iPads. All the Directors in my company use these. And the vendors i met will be carrying an Ipad around. BB?? Extinct like dinosaurs.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]Why cant RIM just create a product and fight back? Android was nothing and now its kicking apples ass. So anything is possible. We can't just rely on iOS and Android. What happens if Andoid/Google become as bad as Apple, and there is no mobile OS out there to compete? We will be all screwed. Android is full of security holes and spyware. iOS get hacked every time a new version comes out. Open source is great, but then again hackers learn a lot about hacking a phone that hasn't been updated yet. SO having more options for an OS is a good thing.[/citation]

Actually, there are more than that. There's still MS with Windows Phone, Samsung has BADA, and Nokia could resurrect MeeGo if things goes as bad as you predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.