RIM Offers Users Free Apps to Compensate for Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrgnRebrn

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
This is great! Now I will have something to do on my Blackberry while I wait for my new Android phone that my company is replacing it with!

DrgnRebrn

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I somewhat agree with you, however timing is everything when it comes to making decisions about where you will place your trust in technology. There's a plethora of choices available to consumers and businesses alike right now. Perhaps for one who has been mulling around the options, doing comparisons, and weighing the pros & cons of switching - the timing of this outage was all they needed to push them towards making that decision. That's exactly what happened with my company. While they aren't immediately switching out all Blackberry devices, they are switching employees out to Android & iOS devices (phones & tablets) once they are eligible for an equipment upgrade - or when their current Blackberry phone needs to be replaced.

DrgnRebrn

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Currently, they are supporting all 3 formats. They are beginning to phase out the Blackberry's though, as I stated above. Their way of working around the malware issue is by creating their own "App Market," through which all of the company-supported software can be downloaded. The only way around it would be to root your phone, and I believe that would probably lead to people getting fired.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Where did it go wrong for Blackberry? It seems like just a few years ago I was still hearing about people tied to their Blackberries. Then Android hit and suddenly I don't seem to hear anything about Blackberry. My guess is that they simply couldn't keep up all of the innovation that was happening at Google and Apple and they fell by the wasteside. That or they became more like IBM and started focusing even more on their corporate sector. But this outage will be disastorous for Blackberry. The U.S. government heavily uses Blackberries so this outage could make them rethink their mobile options. It doesn't help that at the same time Blackberry is trying to focus on business oriented customers that they bomb one of the most important things to a business: reliablility.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
i don't see how businesses can get away from blackberry. there encryption is the best in the market. android is still too new and i doubt the e-mail service for the iphone could even beat RIM's

I don't like how they are offering free apps to make up for it but really what can they do? at least they are offering free tech support too

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]tee1up[/nom]Too little - too late. Connection down for a week and I get a set of game downloads?[/citation]

On earth a week is 7 days, not 3.

jiggy1971

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
It's funny to see folks react. All of this technology has issues from time to time. Being down a day or 3 isn't that huge of deal in the whole realm of things. I could still communicate and if I needed to check my email, I logged into my computer the old fashion way. Lol You will see flaws in the Android and iPhone you chose. It happens. People get on the kick of what is new and that somehow makes it better. When I needed my email 7 years ago, there was a great solution, Blackberry. Blackberry makes a sound product and their email delivery and encryption is still second to none. I will continue to support Blackberry. Hopefully there are others like myself that are loyal and continue to do the same.

CoffeeDrinker

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
What i do not understand, people forget Technology is technology, it is bound to go down sometime, and even when it went down, it didnt stop me from sending SMS's. Now people are saying that RIM is now the new BribeBerry. Come on people, technology goes down, and they were unlucky to have both servers go down at the same time. It is one of those things that happen in life. Im quite happy to stay with BB. I feel that RIM is doing everyone a favour with giving out free apps, needless to say i wont download them as i believe i should get charged for them. Why must they make a loss on what Technology can do. Deal with it.

anony2004

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]just trying to avoid a massive lawsuit by offering presents to users.[/citation]

Still, the best thing to do...

G

Where do they come off saying th eissue is reolved. We have numerous company phones that have still not been restored.

G

Did anybody get notified yet? Thought I would have by now. Saw the registration form for the one month free tech support, but don't need that....just want the free apps, gulldurnit.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.