RIM: PlayBook Battery Will Top the iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecripp

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Is it just me or did people stop thumbing things? I used to see 20's all the time, but now its rare to see 1 thumb up.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Who says the iPad gets 9 hours of battery life with continuous use????? Guess that depends on how you use it. I guess with minimum volume, back light dimmed to a low setting, and WiFi turned off you might get that. But whats enjoyable about that experience.

If you actually use the thing for something other than a conversation piece you do well to get 6-7 hours.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sandmanwn[/nom]Who says the iPad gets 9 hours of battery life with continuous use????? Guess that depends on how you use it. I guess with minimum volume, back light dimmed to a low setting, and WiFi turned off you might get that. But whats enjoyable about that experience.If you actually use the thing for something other than a conversation piece you do well to get 6-7 hours.[/citation]
Note how they talk about "mixed use" in the article.

saiyan

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
[citation][nom]sandmanwn[/nom]Who says the iPad gets 9 hours of battery life with continuous use????? Guess that depends on how you use it. I guess with minimum volume, back light dimmed to a low setting, and WiFi turned off you might get that. But whats enjoyable about that experience.If you actually use the thing for something other than a conversation piece you do well to get 6-7 hours.[/citation]

"Guess that depends on how you use it?"

Obviously you do not own an iPad nor have you used one extensively.

My iPad can easily give me 10 to 11 hours of continuous usage before battery level go below 10%. And that is with screen backlight set to 40%, Wifi turned on, some web browsing, YouTube viewing, video streaming and couple hours of gaming.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Hmmm.... this could have been impressive if it were released 9 months ago. Chances are the second generation iPad will be released soon (beginning of April by the looks of things) and there's a good chance it'll have even better battery performance. Also, Apple tends to be on the conservative side now when giving their battery usage times.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Meh... I have a Viewsonic GTablet and it runs over 12 hours continuous before it hits my 20% warning. The Archos 70 that I have runs about 10 continuous before its fully drained.

Sad thing is, I bought both of them and it was still cheaper than an iPad.

G

"That said, the PlayBook doesn’t have certain, battery-draining features that one would have to endure with the iPad, such as push email."

Right, and the PB doesn't brag about having Flash, which as we know has no impact whatsoever on battery life.

Once again, I'm astonished at the amt of digital ink lovingly devoted to vaporware products and lofty promises. RIM, ship the damn thing already and let it be evaluated by independent review. Until then its all just a load of FUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.