RIM Stocks Take a Hit After iMessage Unveiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
it would make more sense for Apple to offer the iMessage service for free or for very minimal charge so Apple can can gain a larger share of the corporate market. Then BB is kaput.

songemu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Why wouldn't it be free... Facetime is free. Email is free. IM clients are free. Just say it's free already so the BB ship can sink a little lower. Officially.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I know some companies give it free but in the UK its a £5 extra for the "blackberry bolt-on" that is kinda required to make the device actually useable. I've had a blackberry since android was at 1.6 for the tethering and I do love the qwerty keyboard but making me pay £5 a month extra for push email and the ability to go online is a rip off. Yes BBM has a use since a couple of friends in Denmark have Blackberries which means I don't have to pay stupid costs for texts or spend the day reconnecting MSN for the 1000th time after it gets bored with itself and attempts to die but again, is it really worth £5 extra? I'm excited about the playbook and RIM's new devices but until the run QNX they will always feel vastly inferior to some of the android handsets coming out. If the atrix wasn't made by motorola it would be my next device but currently the xperia neo or even xperia pro look interesting.since giff gaff are offering unlimiteddata and texts with no caps for £10 a month, im gonna take a hit on the phone (not as if companies give meaningful subsidies anyway) and go with that.

RIM really needs to look at everything its doing. The features in OS7 where needed last year and features of QNX are needed now. The hardware specs are a joke, look at the curve specs compared to the torch's, there's hardly anything meaningful in difference and pricing needs to change. Spending £5 a month extra compared to the same android contract on top of inflated handset prices makes purchasing a blackberry impossible to justify. Yes I love the blackberry to bits but for the sake of using a decent qwerty device (can't stand symbian and HTC's keyboard was meh at best) is not worth the price they are asking. I think it says it all that I was considering the x10 mini pro and installing 2.2, as an upgrade to a bold!

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
What is interesting to note about this is how tech writers are raving over this iMessage, when the Blackberry Messenger has been around for a while. I wonder how long it will be before Apple calls this innovative, first to the market, and magical?

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
All I see on this site is hatred towards "Research In Motion", apparently many of those leaving a comment here are Apple lovers.

That's OK, don't be surprised when Apple decides to do everything it wants with your personal information, not only with it, but also with a personality profile (just as google does it with their unique "TrackID" system)

And here's another thing, how many of you remember when RIM refused to supply a certain government with the decryption algorithm for their messaging system?

With that in mind, I will take a RIM device over an Apple device on ANY DAY, even if RIM is lagging behind Apple when it comes to hardware specs, after all if I'd want to shoot in HD I'd get my self a device that does that, instead of getting an all in one device and flip out when I lose it (because all of my "tech" gadgets are built into one device).

G

does that mean iMessage will have servers for each telco provider? because if it use only the internet, then they compete with other messenger (such as ebuddy, live profile and whatsapp)?
I don't use blackberry but considering the awful mobile connection in my country, i acknowledge that those blackberries are unbeatable in messaging with their local server.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
While I think that BB needs to start innovating, I don't think they're going to die just yet. They're still one of the top makers of phones with keys. My GF who has had an iPhone and is on the whole crapple bandwagon recently told me that when she upgrades she's not getting another iphone 'because the keyboard sucks'. I'm hoping to get her to try an Android out, but right now she wants a Blackberry.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]...she's not getting another iphone 'because the keyboard sucks'...[/citation]
I bet your GF has tiny fingers. For most of us, those tiny key pads are almost impossible.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I have HUGE hands and fingers like most of my friends. We type just fine on the BB keyboard..lol I tried typing on an iPhone and it was ridiculous. Virtual keyboards have and will always suck. I can get almost 2 days out of a charge on a regular battery...can any Android or iPhone user say the same? My BB makes great phone calls and is the best for texting and email...all I need. I don't have time to be playing around with apps....I work for a living.[/citation]

Umm, while I will concede that a physical keyboard is better than a virtual keyboard in 999 out of 1000 cases.. a 2 days charge for just calls, texting, and email would be a pretty big step down for an iphone 4.. So yeah, I can say the same, and better. On average, if I just keep forgetting to charge it.. I can last in the neighborhood of a 3-5 days. And thats alot of texts, usually 1-1.5 hours music(itunes/pandora) a day(gym time), and checking email several times a day through 3 different email accounts.. Not to mention all the social media-type stuff I casually do.

Sorry man. BB needs to die. A physical keyboard is not enough of a reason for an outdated, outperformed, and just generally outclassed shoddy piece of cell phone tech to continue to exist.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]songemu[/nom]Why wouldn't it be free... Facetime is free. Email is free. IM clients are free. Just say it's free already so the BB ship can sink a little lower. Officially.[/citation]
because it's apple they like to make you pay for everything and thru the nose or in blood; all in the name of it being safer, friendlier and easier, because they don't like writing anti virus for thier garbage.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
iPhones are smartphones for entertainment and Blackberries are made for businessmen. Let's see how fast is to write an email on any iPhone in comparison to the vast majority of Blackberries, which come with full QWERTY keyboards. Not going to argue about the reception of the iPhones or the issues with the clock but I guess not many are to rely on an iPhone unlike BB in general.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]iPhones are smartphones for entertainment and Blackberries are made for businessmen. Let's see how fast is to write an email on any iPhone in comparison to the vast majority of Blackberries, which come with full QWERTY keyboards. Not going to argue about the reception of the iPhones or the issues with the clock but I guess not many are to rely on an iPhone unlike BB in general.[/citation]

Ehhh.. Yeah, I'd have to give it to you that iphone's, and competitors really, are for entertainment.. And that BB's are pretty much targeted towards business.. However, full qwerty keyboard or not, blackberries are an absolute nightmare. I work for the US Navy in a building as a Supervisor for the Audio-Visual, Phone(land and cell), and Video Teleconference Support Technicians (As well as being one of them myself.) And I have amongst my duties, responsibility in making sure the 50-odd people using our command blackberries are good to go, with service, outlook access, and various other odds and ends.. And yeah.. It's a nightmare. Worst part of my job by far. Blackberries are fragile, bulky, and problem prone. Ease of email could not possibly begin to make up for their downsides.. And as for reception.. I've never really seen a problem with either BB or iPhone, nor has the occasional clock bug ever effected me.. And the effects of being late in the military are far.. far more severe than anything a civilian would ever have to face.. And yet, i've used an iphone since '07 without a single problem(outside of one failed jailbreaking that bricked my 2G, lol.)

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Its like Apple users(and blackberry investors) don't know what Yahoo or MSN messenger are. Hey everyone, there was already an app for that. They are free, used by hundreds of millions of people, and you can talk to more than just your hipster iPhoney friends. The only downside is if your last name is "Weiner," you have even more ways to make a fool of yourself!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]And as for reception.. I've never really seen a problem with either BB or iPhone[/citation]You must have been holding it right. Jobs taught you well.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The writing was on the wall for some time - it was only matter of time before Apple decided to implement its own version of BBM. Shame RIM couldn't get an iOS/Android app for BBM ready in time, as it was rumored a few months back.

With that said still, if I was in the market for a device I'd still consider Blackberry devices equally compared to others available. Having good security is important; having 100,000 useless apps isn't so.

ronindaosohei

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
[citation][nom]whoaah223[/nom]does that mean iMessage will have servers for each telco provider? because if it use only the internet, then they compete with other messenger (such as ebuddy, live profile and whatsapp)?I don't use blackberry but considering the awful mobile connection in my country, i acknowledge that those blackberries are unbeatable in messaging with their local server.[/citation]

What is it about BBM that you consider so much better than Google Talk, MSN, Yahoo!, etc.? I mean I get the read receipts thing, that's cool, so are voice notes, but frankly I've never understood what's so mind blowingly great about BBM? The biggest complaint I had with it was you need to know the person's PIN, and when they change phones their PIN changes as well meaning the process of connecting with users isn't nearly as simple or flexible as the standard messaging services...but somehow those haven't caught on and I'm trying to figure out why?

ronindaosohei

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]While I think that BB needs to start innovating, I don't think they're going to die just yet. They're still one of the top makers of phones with keys. My GF who has had an iPhone and is on the whole crapple bandwagon recently told me that when she upgrades she's not getting another iphone 'because the keyboard sucks'. I'm hoping to get her to try an Android out, but right now she wants a Blackberry.[/citation]

It will take time for RIM to die, but RIM is dead. The problem is simple, they can't try to compete head to head with larger companies with more money and larger platforms to leverage (Google, Microsoft, and Apple). They need to focus on being different and leveraging their existing strengths, and right now they aren't doing that (strengths being enterprise, BES, and BBM), in theory they could have done that but each day their chances disappear, Apple is really dealing a blow to BBM with iMessage, Microsoft is going to start going after enterprise and BES with Sharepoint, etc. If they want to survive and thrive they need to be ahead of the curve and unfortunately their direction is killing them and by the time they figure it out they won't have time to change.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I have HUGE hands and fingers like most of my friends. We type just fine on the BB keyboard..lol I tried typing on an iPhone and it was ridiculous. Virtual keyboards have and will always suck. I can get almost 2 days out of a charge on a regular battery...can any Android or iPhone user say the same? My BB makes great phone calls and is the best for texting and email...all I need. I don't have time to be playing around with apps....I work for a living.[/citation]

Having both a BB and Android I can say my Android gets just as good battery life as my BB, if the battery is dying quickly on a smart phone it is generally due to the type of use. Yes, you'll have time surfing the net all day long on an Android phone and having it last as long as a BB if all you do on the later is talk on it, but try comparable activities?

As for the keyboards, use landscape, a landscape keyboard on Android or iPhone is way bigger than a BB keyboard, use Swype with Android and you don't even have to be that accurate, not to mention you pick up the accuracy with practice. There's a reason everything is moving in that direction, physical keyboards just don't compare when you weigh in the compromises.

As for not needing apps, they aren't games, apps can dramatically enhance productivity if you choose to use them that way. For example, I use widgets for Microsoft Exchange to check appointments, tasks, etc. without ever having to open a program like I do on BB, I can manage LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook (all connected to business), take pictures of barcodes for shopping, use Evernote and Springpad for gathering organizing and sync'ing information, have my business VOIP lines go directly to my cell phone, get turn by turn navigation going to my appointments, the list goes on, all business applications facilitated by apps.

[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]iPhones are smartphones for entertainment and Blackberries are made for businessmen. Let's see how fast is to write an email on any iPhone in comparison to the vast majority of Blackberries, which come with full QWERTY keyboards. Not going to argue about the reception of the iPhones or the issues with the clock but I guess not many are to rely on an iPhone unlike BB in general.[/citation]

Honestly, I'm way happier with email on Android than on BB, I type just as fast or faster and more conveniently with Swype than on my BB, the functionality I get such as "Create task" or "create appointment" from email, etc. are all radically superior. There's a reason an increasing number of business people are switching to Android and iPhone. The notion that BB is better for business is largely dated, there are some advantages if you're running BES, but that's a significant extra cost (what's up with the inability to connect to Exchange servers directly?) and is it really worth it? What if you want to connect with Sharepoint? Really, in some senses one would have to argue that WP7 is best designed for business people due to the Sharepoint support.

Most of my friends run their businesses from Android or iPhone, I run my business from Android and BB just doesn't compare.

G

While I may pay some lip service as a Canadian how RIM is holding its own and quite good; somebody should put it out of its misery and kick it out while it's down.

I do feel the whole argument on iMessage, MSN and whatnots just beating around the bushes, RIM hardware is not above board, it is another in the pack; but software is indeed old to the point it just screams old at you anywhere you look at. This is reminiscent on Palm's end.

Trouble is how RIM handles its business, a PlayBook that offers little to... whom? A new OS RIM put in the backburner for outdated code, and even a recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.