RIM Takes $485M Charge Due to Unsold PlayBooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
we believe the PlayBook, which will be further enhanced with the upcoming PlayBook OS 2.0 software, is a compelling tablet for consumers that also offers unique security and manageability features for the enterprise," said Mike Lazaridis
What?! Is he for real? Another futile attempt to save RIM. I need to invest in recycling plants for useless tablets.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Yeah- surely the company's going out of business since it's only making 5 billion dollars.

I mean... RIM's here to stay.
Even companies like Google have produced flops (remember Buzz/Orkut and the Nexus One experiment (not the phone itself)?). Yet for some strange reason they're still kicking around.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I think we should take example from all these tablets failing. Stop copying the iPad, the only reason it is selling so well is that pretty little logo. Just think of anything impractical, and slap an "i" in front and an apple logo on it, it will sell.

Pinhedd

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]What?! Is he for real? Another futile attempt to save RIM. I need to invest in recycling plants for useless tablets.[/citation]

My dad bought a playbook back when it first went on sale. It's a more powerful device than the iPad by most metrics but as has been noted repeatedly currently lacks applications. Since they dropped the price to 199 it has been sold out pretty much everywhere and to be honest, for that price it's certainly worth it.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]People who say RIM is going under are just stupid. RIM is firmly intrenched in the business and government sector. My company won't allow anything made by Apple or any Android device to connect to it's servers.[/citation]

Your company sounds archaic and behind the times.

G

Gotta love the "______ is actually better than the iPad, but because of ______ and _______, nobody is buying it" comments. People aren't as dumb as you seem to think they are. They spend their money on stuff that works today, not on some CEO's wet dream or a half-baked product that might be fixed six months from now. PlayBook, Xoom, joojoo, etc. all failed because they simply couldn't deliver a user experience better than iPad. It's really that simple.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
RIMs normal price for the playbooks are too hight (too much of a greedy price), also when they had the $300 off sale, they did a very bad job to stock the stores, as result the stores were always out of stock.

I think the normal price for the 16GB should be around $225-$300, $350-$425 for the 32GB, and the most $450 to $525 for the 64GB. Tablets should only exceed $500 if they come with 3G build in.

I don't know why RIm thinks it can sell the normal prices so high.

Status
Not open for further replies.