RIM's Storm: "No One Gets it Right First Time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pongobongo

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
As a newly minted Blackberry user (just got a Curve), I wish RIM the best on this. It would be a welcome alternative to the iPhone for business/IT people like myself.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is the definition of cool, but I'm not switching to AT&T to get one. Verizon has been good to me and they carry the Storm. So, hopefully they will offer the Storm 2 (Storm+, Perfect Storm, Thunder Storm, whatever it's called) when it comes out!

G

is the iphone apples first phone? seems to me like they did it right.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]Pongobongo[/nom]Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is the definition of cool, but I'm not switching to AT&T to get one. Verizon has been good to me...[/citation]
I'm with you on that. I would get an iPhone, but I like Verizon's coverage better, and while having a mobile data plan and laptop tethering would be pretty handy, I can't afford something like that.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]hallubalooza[/nom]is the iphone apples first phone? seems to me like they did it right.[/citation]
No, they had many of the same issues RIM is having, including spotty reception in areas that wasn't necessarily due to AT&T's network. Freezing, wonky touch response, etc. They fixed those issues right quick though.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
[citation][nom]hallubalooza[/nom]is the iphone apples first phone? seems to me like they did it right.[/citation]

heh but its the same phone with new software - does that count?

G

I'm FOR anything non-apple!
They only should .. you know.. make sure it works (near to flawless) before they release their first model...

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Software is what makes the phone go... so "apple got it right" on the first try is wrong. There have been many updates to the iPhone since launch.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
iPhone would be a cool product, if Apple didn't force you to use AT&T. I would NEVER personally sign up with AT&T. Their cellular service from what I hear is horrible, especially where I live. Yet to talk to a happy AT&T Wireless subscriber.

Verizon on the other hand, I've used in a couple states. And they work very well, not to mention their tech support / customer support has always served me well.

I want to try a Storm, but with the newer model looming around the corner, I'm a bit hesitant. I wonder if their Storm sales will drop now that the cat's out of the bag..?

necro1783

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]iPhone would be a cool product, if Apple didn't force you to use AT&T. I would NEVER personally sign up with AT&T. Their cellular service from what I hear is horrible, especially where I live. Yet to talk to a happy AT&T Wireless subscriber.Verizon on the other hand, I've used in a couple states. And they work very well, not to mention their tech support / customer support has always served me well.I want to try a Storm, but with the newer model looming around the corner, I'm a bit hesitant. I wonder if their Storm sales will drop now that the cat's out of the bag..?[/citation]

Probably not, i know im getting a storm next week. i knwo the new storm is coming but i was talking to a verizon sales rep (who actually hadnt heard about the new storm) and we figured out the only reason for a phone to have wifi would be to link with a computer wirelessly, well for all the new bells and whistles for people like me that have no interested in linking to a computer wirelessly ill be going out and getting a storm before the new one comes out.

G

There are a few beta releases of the Storm OS and I am running one now. It is night and day to the current OS. It is how it should have been sent out.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]iPhone would be a cool product, if Apple didn't force you to use AT&T. I would NEVER personally sign up with AT&T. Their cellular service from what I hear is horrible, especially where I live. Yet to talk to a happy AT&T Wireless subscriber.[/citation]
Hi. My name is Blackened144 and Im a happy ATT iPhone subscriber. Where I am at here in South Florida, ATT has got the best thing going. The places I get "spotty" coverage, other carriers get absolutely no signal at all and the only problem I have ever had with their service was due to me not paying my bill. I played with the Storm at the store for a bit when it first came out and I was not impressed at all. If I was choosing a phone now and wasnt getting the iPhone ,I would not get the Storm. I'd most likely get an HTC unit.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
RIM is right. This is a 1st generation product. Even 1st gen iPods had problems... not to mention the before mentioned iPhone, and even the new Apple OS... I am suprised it was as complete as it was... Give them a revision or 2. Even the Zune is starting to look like a top notch product... and look, it only took MS 3 generations...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Pongobongo[/nom]As a newly minted Blackberry user (just got a Curve), I wish RIM the best on this. It would be a welcome alternative to the iPhone for business/IT people like myself.[/citation]
Do businesspeople use iphone? I thought they were more for teenies playing games on them? Granted I don't like apple, so I'll never own one, but still that's what I thought.
At our company ordinary people get a cheap nokia something or another, and people that need more get a htc something or another depending on their needs. I'd understand if some companies would prefer rim instead of htc, but the iphone ? for business affairs? That sounds a bit like using an xbox for desk work....

G

I work for AT&T and my department was the one that handled data support for the initial launch of the first iPhone, and the iPhone 3G. I must say that no, the first iPhone's initial launch was not without its problems. Anyone who is tech savvy and is typically among the early adopters of new devices would expect that to be the case. We dealt with many activation issues, in that customers' iPhone were not activating correctly via the online tool, and also some customers were bricking their iPhones in the course of failed activations. But again, early adopters of new technology know going in that they will face risks like these. My department has also been the center hub of support for the Blackberry for years, and we have typically not had problems of that degree with any Blackberry devices that I can recall in recent years. Since we have the Bold, and not the Storm, we fortunately did not have the touch screen issues and other O.S. issues that seem to have plagued Verizon's model. Both Verizon and AT&T have great devices that RIM has shown outstanding initiative and creativity in releasing, always trying to give customers what they want, but they won't always get it right the first time, just as Apple did not. Even when we launched the iPhone 3G, we still had some of the same activation issues as with the first iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.