Robbers Using Electronics as Bait on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
This is why I always insist on going to the sellers house to pick up whatever they are selling. This way if something is not as "advertised" I know where to go to get my money back.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Isn't it just common sense? If your going to meet up with random people from craigsilist do it somewhere were there is tons of people around. It is still possible that they are bad people but it should make it safer. It is still better then showing up alone in a random parking lot at night. Reminds me of the classic rusty white ran selling candy.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
"Yea, you can find me at this address in the open parking lot, with no lights, next to the abandoned warehouse. I'll be the guy wearing all black with a ski-mask and a gun."

"Alright, see you in about 10 minutes!"

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
At least the victims in these cases didn't give out their home address and invite the 3 inside where they would have lost a lot more than the cash they had in hand.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
If I ever go to buy something in a parking lot in the middle of the night someone should punch me in the face for being such a dumb ass.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
[citation][nom]maydaynomore[/nom]This is why I always insist on going to the sellers house to pick up whatever they are selling. This way if something is not as "advertised" I know where to go to get my money back.[/citation]

No. I'll never let you come to my house. Crooks always find a way. It was suggested some time ago that you should never, ever, for any circumstances invite an interested party from Craigslist to your home. Lets invite crooks to our house, so they can case the place, and rob you blind while you are not at home. So now, it is common practice to meet somewhere, don't invite potential criminals to your home! You definitely want to meet in a public place, preferably somewhere there are many people around, and take people with you for heavens sake. There have also been instances where people were abducted by going to someones home!
Electronics ads will attract many younger people to the home of a predator. You must exercise common sense before you go running off to someones house you do not know. It is a shame it is this way these days, but you just never know about people anymore.
If you are going to use Craigslist, a little common sense and lot of care needs to be taken whether you are buying or selling.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Just fifteen minutes later, a man with his girlfriend went to the same location in the same parking lot thinking that they would be buying an iPhone.

LOL 15 minutes later? Apparently the cops didn't actually respond to the location/area to search for the bad guys eh?

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I have always been cautious about big money deals. I've bought and sold sub $100 items without a problem before though. This is why you have a couple of friends go with you on bigger deals and/or carry a pistol if you have a CHL license. I once sold a built up engine from my house before and had a couple of friends swing in before the buyers showed up. Everything went smooth.

irtehyar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
Showing up in the middle of the night to an empty parking lot. With cash. With no protection. And bring the wife. Darwin, meet Craig.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I usually would just meet over in a close parking lot, or sometimes the guy lives 2-3 hours out so something randomly found on google maps is used.

Then there's the occasions when you sell a basketball goal or a piece of furniture. I can't move that before selling. And it in fact took 3 guys to take it. (well that's how many were there anyway, probably less could have done it)

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Worst cops ever if they let another robbery happen 15 minutes later in the same parking lot. So do these robbers have an appointment book for people they're going to rob?

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, these people were dumbasses, no way around it. Smart people meet at a busy location during the day. I've done countless PC hardware, and electronics deals on CL and all that is needed is common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.