Rock Band 3 Packs 102-button Pro-Guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I love Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and have always dismissed the "OMG L2P A REAL GITAR NUBS," youtube-esque commentary, because the games were never supposed to mimic playing a real guitar. This, though... This is ridiculous. A 102-button "pro mode" plastic guitar? Anyone that learns to play that, rather than a real guitar, is a huge tool. (And yes, I get that it's primarily being released to cater to people who already play the guitar).

mgoblue3296

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
When will they learn that we don't want to play real guitar, we just want to have a good time mashing colored buttons in a rhythmic fashion

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]TunaSoda[/nom]My real guitar has 144 (24fretsx6strings)[/citation]
Agreed, get a real guitar. If I had kids I would not let them have this crap. Play a real instrument. FPS games are still fun though.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Well, I know how to play a real guitar quite well... and I think this is a novel idea. Although I doubt it's practicality. How are they going to implement this for people that CAN'T play?

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]mgoblue3296[/nom]When will they learn that we don't want to play real guitar, we just want to have a good time mashing colored buttons in a rhythmic fashion[/citation]

They won't. Haters are just going to hate and continue to be mad at you for enjoying a video game; just because they personally disapprove of it.

I will enjoy the heck out of mashing colored buttons on this game and GH6 when they come out later this year. I'll then laugh at the people who proclaim "OMG get a real guitar!" as I go to play my 88-key piano.

http://xkcd.com/359/

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
^^^ Lol agreed. However I still think kids should be encouraged to pick up real instruments and rock band and games like it are a slight deterrent.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
This is entertainment that has the possibility of introducing people to new interests. How many games can make that claim? If guitar hero or rockband convinces even a small handful of players to pick up the real thing then it's done more for society than the overwhelming majority of games.

It always amazes me the ridicule these games get. People that play these games weren't interested in instruments, they were interested in engaging gameplay. Perhaps as a side effect they'll gain enough interest to invest time in learning the real instrument, but had it not been for the game itself there would have been no interest or curiosity at all.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
quote from regulas:
"Agreed, get a real guitar. If I had kids I would not let them have this crap. Play a real instrument. FPS games are still fun though. "

So, you wont let your kids pretend to play a musical instrument, which might have some benefit, but instead hand them an FPS, which to my knowledge, has absolutely NO benefit to a child's motor skills and developing brain. You have GOT to be kidding me.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Why don't they just use a real guitar, like the microphone? Kinda stupid to "remake" playing a guitar. Use a real guitar, TEACH the person what strings to play and maybe you'll do something positive in someone's life.

jimslaid2

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
MIDI for keyborads? LOL cool I guess. Next release, Pro-Tools for the xbox 360. Why not make a touch pad you can attach to the fret board of a regular guitar?

NathanTR

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Why is learning the guitar "meaningful" in life? All the guitar/bass players I see around my age smoke pot and don't have a job. It's a gateway drug!!!!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]the last resort[/nom]So, you wont let your kids pretend to play a musical instrument, which might have some benefit, but instead hand them an FPS, which to my knowledge, has absolutely NO benefit to a child's motor skills and developing brain. You have GOT to be kidding me.[/citation]
Haven't there been scientific studies that show that FPS games do increase manual dexterity, hand eye coordination and reaction times in people?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,593673,00.html

There is one article I found on it, seems games, even FPS games, do teach kids something, like it or not, you gotta learn to react, move quickly and adapt to win in those games and that does translate into the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.