LegendaryLeader

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Hello! As I've stated in the title of this post, my Asus Laptop has been constantly freezing. I attempted to get into my laptop over 30 times by now and still keeps freezing.

First, here are the specs to my laptop:
Asus GL551 15-inch Gaming Laptiop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz Processor
16 GB DDR3 RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
1TB HDD Storage; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW
15.6 inches 1920*1080 pixels LED-lit Screen
Windows 10 Operating System; Red/Black Chassis

So here's the dilemma, after I log in to my computer, I see my what I would normally see on I my desktop:wahoo:. Then after about 1-5 minutes, the laptop freezes :??::no:(it varied for each time I logged in). I have no idea why,

However, this is what I've been able to gather. What I noticed is that in the little time I had before the computer freezes, two things occur. (1) My Disk is maxed out at 100% when I open up the task manager, but I have no idea what the source of this is. (2) For each time I opened I get a message that says that my Nvidia graphics card has crashed, but has been recovered. This is what the message reads:

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 353.54 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I have no idea what would cause this to occur. And the problem is too is that I would like to fix my laptop, but it keeps freezing before I attempt to do anything.

Also, I have made sure that there was no overheating when attempting to resolve the issue,

Please help:ouch:! And thank you for your time :wahoo:.

Solution
Soo there are a few things we can look at here being the issue.. Really you won't know which one it is until you try..... So here i'll list some things for you to try.

If you have another computer try these...
-slave your laptop drive up to your computer and run disc diagnostic tool like HD TUNE.. this can help you find out if your drive is failing. It has s.m.a.r.t. and sector check.. both good to have.
-back up the data you would like to keep, then depending on what tool you are using you can find out where are your space is going and delete til your hearts content.
-if you do the first 2, and the drive is dead.. purchase a new drive and reinstall with whatever media you wish.

Here are some other alternates incase you do not have...

ZurielV

Estimable
Oct 7, 2015
Soo there are a few things we can look at here being the issue.. Really you won't know which one it is until you try..... So here i'll list some things for you to try.

If you have another computer try these...
-slave your laptop drive up to your computer and run disc diagnostic tool like HD TUNE.. this can help you find out if your drive is failing. It has s.m.a.r.t. and sector check.. both good to have.
-back up the data you would like to keep, then depending on what tool you are using you can find out where are your space is going and delete til your hearts content.
-if you do the first 2, and the drive is dead.. purchase a new drive and reinstall with whatever media you wish.

Here are some other alternates incase you do not have another computer..
-try booting into safe mode, if possible, uninstall video drivers and other misc things taking up space.
-install and run diagnostic tool.. i prefer HDTUNE.. its compact and gives accurate readouts. (figure out if your drive is bad or going bad)

-if safe mode is still an option, and you were able to delete stuff giving you space but your computer still freezes, go back into safe mode and create another user account with admin privileges. Attempt to login using that profile.. it could be profile specific.

So a few things we outlined to check for..

-faulting hardware (hdd)
-corrupt/bad profile (whatever your default is)
-corrupt/bad driver or software (video card drivers)
-conclusion if you have a bad hdd or is software based issues.

Solution

LegendaryLeader

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

Thank you for the response! I will get back to you as I find out whether or not it works. But one issue I have is that I have no clue how to go into safe mode, since ROG Asus Laptops have a different setup. I tried the standard F8 and F8 + Shift, and every other F Key but none of them work so I have to figure out how to get into it one way or another.

ZurielV

Estimable
Oct 7, 2015
if you need to get into safemode and cant press f8 quick enough the other option is to use msconfig and enable safemode from there
from start > search\run and type msconfig
select the boot tab and tick safemode and the options you require, usualy minimal is enough, click ok and you will be asked if you want to restart
note: you will need to use msconfig again to start windows normaly when your finished by selecting normal startup from the general tab or unticking safemode

another option which is a little more risky if you cant get into windoes is to simply reboot your pc with the reset switch either within windows which dosent always work or reboot as windows is starting

LegendaryLeader

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

So I managed to get into safe mode using the option that you gave me with RUN and "msconfig". It was pain since the computer was still freezing, but doable after a few tries. So I uninstalled my Nvidia Driver and the computer didn't freeze anymore. I decided to reinstall the Nvidia Driver and the freezing occurred again which forced me to uninstall the driver again. Could this be a video card hardware problem or software problem? I would certainly hate to see that the hard malfunctioned since i got this laptop less than a year ago.

LegendaryLeader

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

Ok, so I believe I figured out what the source of the problem was. So after uninstalling and reinstalling my driver for my graphics card, my computer continued to freeze upon start with the error of Kernal Mode Driver, Version 353.54 crashing. So what I did was go on to the Nvidia website and manually download the driver. This was version 365.19 for Nvidia 960m GeForce GTX Graphics Card which I own. But this was even worse. Instead of freezing, I kept getting a blue screen, and this really disappoints me.

I also go the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 365.19 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I rarely play games since I mainly use this laptop for school and yet, my graphics card still messes up. I only play League of Legends on this thing. I think I believe this was caused by overheating. What I noticed is that (I believe that this is the fault of the ASUS laptop design) after I close my laptop, my laptop still continues to run, meaning that heat is still being generated. When I closed my laptop, I placed it in my backpack and when I took it out hours later, the laptop was really hot, but I didn't think that it was too bad since this was ONLY the first time. It was still running but I had rush through things so I didn't have time to check whether or not it was actually on sleep mode. :fou::fou::fou:

Thank you for your time :ange:. If this is a software issue based on your judgement:ouch:, that would certainly be reassuring because it wasn't a profile or HDD related issue.

My Intel Integrated Graphics is still functioning correctly so my laptop is still usable. However, I can no longer use Nvidia until the issue is resolved.