Rogert Ebert Apologizes for Game Discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdonedge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
I don't know why people listen to this man to begin with, it's just an opinion. And this isn't the first time his ignorance has come out into the open with such statements.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
@husker; You're right. They aren't. Nor is most music. Or most paintings. Most of it is all rehashes of crap we saw ages ago.

I also don't ascribe to 'modern (bullshit) art'.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Art is what you make of it. If you think it is art, it is art to you. If you think something is not art, that does not mean that someone else won't think of it as art. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

G

Why would there ever be complete 100% consensus on what is an is not a game that counts as 'art'? There isn't for movies.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Everything is art. A nuclear bomb is art. A hamburger is art. A bendy straw is art. a ballpeen hammer is art. Well, almost everything is art...Roger Ebert isn't art.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
So let my get this straight... he gave his honest opinion (what he gets paid to do), people got pissed, he apologized.

I am wondering how much ad revenue he generated for himself as people rushed to bash him, and how many people are happy now that he has apologized (generating him more ad hits, even though he still believes the exact same thing).

Soo.... uhh... who is stupid in all of this?

Azriel4444

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
At least he manned up and admitted his ignorance. He's a movie critic and has no place passing judgement on a media he has no experience with.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Being a film-goer I respect Roger Ebert a lot, as a reviewer. It's good to see that as a gamer as well, he finally respects the gaming world in return.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Bioshock, Half Life 2, Portal, STALKER, Audiosurf, Mirror's Edge, Crysis...

Not to mention flash games like Time Fkuc, Dino Run, Exmortis, Purgatory, The Company of Myself, Don't Look Back, Meatboy...

Too many games are true art either by their graphics, their clever writing, their atmosphere, the gameplay, how much is the player immersed in that world... And how deep they reach in us.

Just an example: if you played "The Company of Myself" and the final revelation didn't shock you and made you sad you have no soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.