Solved! Rokit 5 Hissing Issue

Nov 10, 2018
Bought a brand new pair of Rokit 5's and a new audio interface as my previous monitors died. Initially experienced a constant static noise when using the speakers however using a different power socket seemed to fix that significantly. Every 30-50 seconds however the speakers will emit a harsh static noise over the top of what I am playing that moves with the current noise coming from the speaker. The static only lasts a few seconds however it is very loud and harsh and as it happens so often is very annoying. I use Ableton however the noise still occurs when I play music from a browser or local file on the desktop. I have tried multiple cables when linking the interface and speakers so the problem could possibly be with my desktop?

Speakers : Rokit 5
Audio Interface : Steinberg UR 12

Any help is appreciated as I have been trying to find the solution for the last few days.

Cheers

Solution
First thing to do is try the speakers with a different source. Connect them to your phone for instance.
If you do get noise then the speakers are the problem. If you don't get any noise then the speakers are fine.
If the speaker are fine then connect them directly to the desktop without the UR12. That will eliminate a problem with that.
Your description of the noise doesn't sound like hum so ground loops wouldn't be the problem. Hiss can be caused if you have the gains set wrong. The desktop, UR12, and the speakers all have level controls. If one is set too low you have to set the other too high and that can get hissy.
First thing to do is try the speakers with a different source. Connect them to your phone for instance.
If you do get noise then the speakers are the problem. If you don't get any noise then the speakers are fine.
If the speaker are fine then connect them directly to the desktop without the UR12. That will eliminate a problem with that.
Your description of the noise doesn't sound like hum so ground loops wouldn't be the problem. Hiss can be caused if you have the gains set wrong. The desktop, UR12, and the speakers all have level controls. If one is set too low you have to set the other too high and that can get hissy.

Solution