Roku Introduces New $50 Streaming Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatymutawings

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I can see streams replacing TV channels, there's no subscription fee, less ads, and far more choices. The only thing you'll need is a good internet.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Meatymutawings[/nom]I can see streams replacing TV channels, there's no subscription fee, less ads, and far more choices. The only thing you'll need is a good internet.[/citation]

Unfortunately that's when people will start adding more ads, and there ARE subscription fees for Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu Plus.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
If you're talking about stream/media player, there are many other alternatives. Micca, AC Ryan PlayOn, Asus OPlay, etc...

For example... Micca MP600 uses the latest Realtek 1185DD processor ->
1) RM/RMVB (and practically any videos/container you throw at it)
2) Gigabit Ethernet
3) external SATA connection, 2xUSB, SD flash
4) Dolby Digital (AC3), DTS, AAC, WMA, PCM, LPCM, OGG, FLAC
5) supports MKV header compression (most other brands don't support this) !!

And where does Roku comes in? And how does Roku even survive in this market?

Tom: I think you should do an article on the latest standalone media player

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
This unit is perfect for many people. For examplpe, I have an older 32" crt upstairs in one of our bedrooms. that only gets ota through a digital converter box (mostly used for dvd and classic gaming). So the fact that it doesn't do 1080p isn't a factor at all since it will only need to do 480i with this set. I was going to get the $60 Roku for this set, but $50 is even better.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
I don't get why Roku is releasing a product that will compete with another Roku product (Roku 2, which only costs $10 more)

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Is there any actual free streaming services?

I mean all these "services" seem to be built into everything these days (bluray players, Xbox, Wii, etc) but they all require subscriptions or have fees. What's the point? And why would I sign up for multiple subscriptions to different services?

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I don't see this taking off. I have several reasons for this
1.) at least the phone I have can stream DLNA, and I know that the apple phones can also.
2.) most modern smartphones and all the Iphones out there have a adapter for HDMI for 25 bucks.
3.) I can do this with a notebook, plus with the right android app you already have a wireless remote.

There's already lots of competition out there, and every generation of smart phone advancement ain't making it easier. No go for me unless it also somehow supports DLNA streaming :) does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.