Question Roll back to Windows update 1809

Oct 13, 2020
Super new on this site so please bear with and be gentle.

I have been having issues with my laptop for a while now and would like some help if at all possible.

My laptop screen is broken so I have been using a monitor to connect to it for some time now because I have not had the time to send it off for repairs. One day I turned it on and my desktop was missing. It seemed like there was a problem with one of my hard drives as it had also disappeared. I kept getting the error message "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If this location is on this PC, make sure that the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, then try again.". After a few failed attempts at diagnosing the problem myself I turned to trusty Google and tried to roll back to a previous version of Windows (1809 I believe) where everything was working. Now my laptop won't display on my monitor when I start it up. I've checked the cables, bought new ones and changed monitors but no luck.

I think it can be salvaged but without knowing what is on the screen I'm at a loss. I have let it start up and left it for about 5-10 mins, to make sure that everything is loaded so that I can see if my password would work maybe but I've noticed when pressing the enter key the system restarts. This happens everything I try even without typing in anything so I think it may be on some sort of recovery screen but not entirely sure.

If anyone has any ideas or could provide any help I would be very grateful

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Laptop Tech Support 2
Dropoff Laptop Tech Support 3
Navneet Gautam Laptop Tech Support 13
I Laptop Tech Support 0
Alicat111111 Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 3
ZahidRidwan Laptop Tech Support 3
K Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 2