Rotel 985BX Protection light on = no sound?

Andy

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
147
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Hi-
I have had my Rotel 985 int amp since '97, and have used it pretty
sparingly, leaving it on during the day. Just the other day, the protection
circuit kicked in for no reason (speaker wires are fine--nothing changed).
Now, I get no sound. I have tried to connect the speakers to both A and B
inputs, and then I removed the speakers from the inputs. Still, protection
is killing the sound.

Anyone know why this would happen, and how I could fix it short of paying a
repair place a huge sum of money? I can't see any fuses on the chasis...are
there any internally that could have popped?

Any help would be appreciated!

Andy
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In <w76jd.1064$vH3.572@trndny06>, on 11/06/04
at 03:31 PM, "Andy" <agkdd@verizon.net> said:

>Hi-
>I have had my Rotel 985 int amp since '97, and have used it pretty
>sparingly, leaving it on during the day. Just the other day, the
>protection circuit kicked in for no reason (speaker wires are
>fine--nothing changed). Now, I get no sound. I have tried to connect
>the speakers to both A and B inputs, and then I removed the speakers
>from the inputs. Still, protection is killing the sound.

>Anyone know why this would happen, and how I could fix it short of
>paying a repair place a huge sum of money? I can't see any fuses on
>the chasis...are there any internally that could have popped?

These units are very reliable, but anything can break. Perhaps the
output transistors were manufactured on a pre holiday Friday afternoon
and someone wanted to get out early.

There are internal fuses that can blow of you push the unit too hard.
If you replace the fuses, be sure to replace them with the same type.
If the replacement fuses blow immediately, take the unit in for
service, don't keep inserting new fuses -- your luck won't change, but
the damage may get worse.

-----------------------------------------------------------
spam: uce@ftc.gov
wordgame:123(abc):<14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13> (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, spammers are ruining my mailbox]
-----------------------------------------------------------
 

Andy

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
147
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Thanks for the tips. Could be my 2 year old turned the amp on and off again
a few times, causing a fuse to go. I'll open the amp up and see if there are
any obvious blown fuses.

Andy


"Barry Mann" <zzzz@zzzz.zzz> wrote in message
news:418cf77a$1$avgroveq$mr2ice@wcnews.cyberonic.com...
> In <w76jd.1064$vH3.572@trndny06>, on 11/06/04
> at 03:31 PM, "Andy" <agkdd@verizon.net> said:
>
>>Hi-
>>I have had my Rotel 985 int amp since '97, and have used it pretty
>>sparingly, leaving it on during the day. Just the other day, the
>>protection circuit kicked in for no reason (speaker wires are
>>fine--nothing changed). Now, I get no sound. I have tried to connect
>>the speakers to both A and B inputs, and then I removed the speakers
>>from the inputs. Still, protection is killing the sound.
>
>>Anyone know why this would happen, and how I could fix it short of
>>paying a repair place a huge sum of money? I can't see any fuses on
>>the chasis...are there any internally that could have popped?
>
> These units are very reliable, but anything can break. Perhaps the
> output transistors were manufactured on a pre holiday Friday afternoon
> and someone wanted to get out early.
>
> There are internal fuses that can blow of you push the unit too hard.
> If you replace the fuses, be sure to replace them with the same type.
> If the replacement fuses blow immediately, take the unit in for
> service, don't keep inserting new fuses -- your luck won't change, but
> the damage may get worse.
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> spam: uce@ftc.gov
> wordgame:123(abc):<14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
> 13> (Barry Mann)
> [sorry about the puzzle, spammers are ruining my mailbox]
> -----------------------------------------------------------
>
 

Andy

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
147
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Just an update, and a Thanks to Rotel!

I called Rotel and they told me to send the amp back to them for service.
They said they would check it out, and call me with an estimate. I shipped
the amp to them mid-November. Since mid December was approaching, I was
going to give them a call and ask what was going on with my amp. That same
day, the amp came back, fully repaired and cleaned. The bill - ZERO! They
listed new fuses, and a re-bias, as a Waranty repair!!

The amp is at least 7 years old...and they fixed it for free. There aren't
many companies like Rotel around anymore--what a great company that stands
behind their products!

Thanks Rotel!!


"Andy" <agkdd@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:w76jd.1064$vH3.572@trndny06...
> Hi-
> I have had my Rotel 985 int amp since '97, and have used it pretty
> sparingly, leaving it on during the day. Just the other day, the
> protection circuit kicked in for no reason (speaker wires are
> fine--nothing changed). Now, I get no sound. I have tried to connect the
> speakers to both A and B inputs, and then I removed the speakers from the
> inputs. Still, protection is killing the sound.
>
> Anyone know why this would happen, and how I could fix it short of paying
> a repair place a huge sum of money? I can't see any fuses on the
> chasis...are there any internally that could have popped?
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Andy
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

In article <416wd.14467$sr2.4362@trndny02>, agkdd@verizon.net says...

>Just an update, and a Thanks to Rotel!
>I called Rotel and they told me to send the amp back to them for service.
>They said they would check it out, and call me with an estimate. I shipped
>the amp to them mid-November. Since mid December was approaching, I was
>going to give them a call and ask what was going on with my amp. That same
>day, the amp came back, fully repaired and cleaned. The bill - ZERO! They
>listed new fuses, and a re-bias, as a Waranty repair!!
>The amp is at least 7 years old...and they fixed it for free. There aren't
>many companies like Rotel around anymore--what a great company that stands
>behind their products!

That's good news. Glad to see you posted this. Many folks will only publicly
complain when something goes wrong. Few praise a company when they do
something right.
-----------
Alex
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Carmelocassenti Audio 0
HudsonJDH Audio 3
M1keC Audio 2
T Audio 2
J Audio 2
K Audio 2
C Audio 9
O Audio 1
J Audio 1
D Audio 4
C Audio 2
F Audio 2
HappyTorrent Audio 6
T Audio 4
B Audio 1
E Audio 2
J Audio 4
W Audio 3
A Audio 2
G Audio 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY