Roundup: 16 Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyosho

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Finally, as a general rule of thumb, you'll probably spend around half as much to get a pair of in-ear headphones that's as good as the equivalent regular on-ear headphones.
They must have meant half again as much?

G

Where are the regular head phones reviews. All we get are buds and in ear headphoes, where are the regular ones that you lead into your article with a picture of?

Wasted my time as i dont like buds....bleh.

Silluete

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]what about shure? probably the best in ear headphones on the market[/citation]
agree , but also one of most expensive one

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I didn't read the article, and after looking at the list of products "reviewed" I guess there's not much room for variety. Like so many stuff out there, it's so relative! What might sound amazing to me might sound like crap to you. Besides, you can use the $20 headphones, and with decent equalization and moderate playback volume, after a few hours of listening it will sound great. Try it...

acherimoya

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I can make two additional recommendations for headphones with which I've been completely satisfied:

- Yuin PK3. Earbuds, hard to find in the US, sound quality equal to many full size cans. Good bass, fantastic mids and highs, great definition in the highs. About average comfort. $39, and best most earbuds you'll find for less than $150.

- Koss KSC75. Open over ear with earclip. Incredible sound, great bass, good highs (highs could be better). Overall great sound profile. $12-18 with sound better than just about any in-ear or earbud you'll find for a reasonable price, and give more expensive over ear phones a run for the money. Everyone should own at least one pair of these classics.

As you can tell, I'm a bargain shopper.

gmoney69

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
This review seems slanted.. no Shure, no Ultimate Ears? Two of the best brands out there. Also, no Skull Candy, not the best but very popular (and affordable)... Then they throw in M-Audio and Cardo 'over the ear' cans? Headphone and earbud reviews should be separate, totally incomparable experience (not to mention there are many other over the ear cans not mentioned). Also, the only buds that get 5/5 have links directly to amazon in the body of the review. Its like an article to pit 16 random products together to put one on top. It's a paid advertisement. This is an incompetent article. WTF Tom's?

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
What about Shure? The SE210 is probably the best value high quality consumer head phone set out there. Absolutely superb headphones and from a brand that I'd trust more than a lot of the ones already included in the review.

G

The whole Sennheiser in ear series requires a long burn (playing music/test tones at a moderately loud volume continuously) in period. I have the IE8 and the review does not do the final product justice. The IE8 benefits from at least 250+ hours, but they keep improving even after 400+ hours. The overpowering bass is greatly reduced leaving a warm, fun headphone with excellent detail, treble extension, controlled yet powerful bass that doesn't intrude on the other frequencies, and the widest soundstage (headstage) of an in ear headphone.

One of the best bang for the buck headphones though is the NuForce NE-7m for $50.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]gmoney69[/nom]This review seems slanted.. no Shure, no Ultimate Ears? Two of the best brands out there. Also, no Skull Candy, not the best but very popular (and affordable)... Then they throw in M-Audio and Cardo 'over the ear' cans? Headphone and earbud reviews should be separate, totally incomparable experience (not to mention there are many other over the ear cans not mentioned). Also, the only buds that get 5/5 have links directly to amazon in the body of the review. Its like an article to pit 16 random products together to put one on top. It's a paid advertisement. This is an incompetent article. WTF Tom's?[/citation]
This is not a paid advertisement.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
For all of you asking why certain products were not included in this roundup, I ask that you please read the introductory paragraph at the top. We only included products where we had a review unit to test. We cannot test a product we do not have on hand.

lapalm

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Thanks for you article. And it's a good thing to keep it in a state of "work in progress". Definitely looking for updates.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
TERRIBLE selection.

No Ultimate Ears, no Etymotic, no Shure, no Westone, just overpriced junk with the slight exception of SOME the sennheisers.

I usually don't bash articles but this is a comparison of all the crappy overpriced earphones and IEMs on the market, I'm surprised there is no BOSE!

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]For all of you asking why certain products were not included in this roundup, I ask that you please read the introductory paragraph at the top. We only included products where we had a review unit to test. We cannot test a product we do not have on hand.[/citation]

I understand this well enough, but you can not exclude the GOOD products in a product survey. You might as well do a CPU roundup with only VIA CPUs.

G

Sennheiser earphones has to be listened for some hours to get the optimum sound quality and a warmer sound out of them, did you take this into account?

smallcaps

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
unfortunately out of the packaging the Sennheiser IEx series will sound terrible because they are dynamic driver type headphones. after about 100 hours or so of burn-in time, they will beat everything on this list by SQ alone. this review is generally ill-informed and amateurishly approached. i would check out more dedicated communities for headphone reviews such as head-fi.org

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]The_Blood_Raven[/nom]I understand this well enough, but you can not exclude the GOOD products in a product survey. You might as well do a CPU roundup with only VIA CPUs.[/citation]
Yes, we can. When we get more products in, we will review them too.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]smallcaps[/nom]unfortunately out of the packaging the Sennheiser IEx series will sound terrible because they are dynamic driver type headphones. after about 100 hours or so of burn-in time, they will beat everything on this list by SQ alone. this review is generally ill-informed and amateurishly approached. i would check out more dedicated communities for headphone reviews such as head-fi.org[/citation]
It sounds like you're in the market for very high-end, expensive headphones (audiophile quality). This review doesn't include any of those, so far, so you'd be better off for now doing research at another site.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I agree with smallcaps,you need to burn in dynamic driver earphones for them to show their full potential. Many dynamic earphones won't start sounding good until over 50 hours of burn in. Balanced armature earphones don't require burn in, giving earphones such as the Q-Jays an advantage in this group comparison. If you are going to review earphones you need to learn their differences. If you are not willing to take the time and learn the basics behind comparing earphones, you should not do it at all. And,fyi, head-fi.org may feature some very pricey earphones, but they also review earphones within the price group represented by your sample.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]It sounds like you're in the market for very high-end, expensive headphones (audiophile quality). This review doesn't include any of those, so far, so you'd be better off for now doing research at another site.[/citation]

The Senns IE 7/8s are audiophile quality as well as the klipsch custom 3.

You should contact more companies for more earphones, like these:
Ultimate Ears, Shure, Etymotic, Westone, exct.

This article is a good first step, Tom's really should get into audio more.

Status
Not open for further replies.