Rumor: Apple Receiving Retina Displays For Next iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
"rather unlikely that the company will be deviating from its current form factor as Steve Jobs explained to the press"

Newsflash: He's dead and not in charge anymore.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]I don't get this. Apple sued Samsung, and Samsung is shipping them panels? This is like one of those weird court TV shows -- suing my best friend for $500, but then we hang out afterwards at a local sports bar.[/citation]

no its more like this, and ill make a fake example

apple has 1000$
they send samsung 500$
apple gets 1000$ per phone

samsung makes phone, takes apple market share

apple sues samsung, but still pays it for parts.

apple gets more money, samsung still makes money.

its like a parasite that is beneficial to its host.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Samsung should just decimate Apple. The SII is by far the best Android phone on the market. If they improved it, and kept at it - they'd destroy Apple. Also, make affordable monitors that take lead to their Super AMOLED screens currently on their phones. Apple relies on other manufacturers -- Samsung not so much. People are too scared to cut off Apple, because they fail at marketing and presenting products.[/citation]

apple, as much of a stereotype it is, has a built in user base that will guarantee millions of sales even with minimal marketing.

the marketing they do put out is geared twards making people who arent at the zealot stage, think apple is the best ever, and mostly due to the iphone, they now have an extremely large user base who will buy the next whatever they make.

samsung verywell has beat the apple in the phone and tablet area with its products, but people dont know it, even if they sunk a billion into marketing (a worth while amount, seeing it will seed the future of their products) they still probably wont convince enough to get it to make severing ties with apple viable option.

remember this is a coperation that has stocks, if the investors dont like a move, such as dumping someone who bought 200+million products, it would be a worse fallout than just the initial apple revenue stopping.

to top it off, potential buyers are getting locked out by injunctions and such.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]I don't get this. Apple sued Samsung, and Samsung is shipping them panels? This is like one of those weird court TV shows -- suing my best friend for $500, but then we hang out afterwards at a local sports bar.[/citation]
Samsung makes screens for pretty much anyone and everyone. They put in HUGE investments into both funding screen technology and manufacturing lines to make the screens. They have to make their money even if it is selling it to Apple or any of their other rival corps.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

If Samsung stops supplying screens and other parts to Apple, then they are going to be simply strangling themselves in the throat.

Apple can afford to buy displays from places like Sharp, Hitachi and whatnot - they already have begun doing so, as Apple is now a customer of Sharp. It's Samsung that gets hurt if they decide to halt shipments to Apple.

So, in the end the seller-buyer relationship continue despite the battle in court.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Ghm.. All the fan stuff aside, aren't this supposed to be fact, not the rumour? High-res panel better be or bye bye iPad. IMHO..

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
OH OK, so now we'll have foxconn workers with their eyes gorged out???
What's he idea of adding or changing the display when the earlier ones are good enough, they ought to be concentrating on getting the costs down rather than increasing them 2 fold by just changing a stupid display.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]Newsflash: He's dead and not in charge anymore.[/citation]
Even if he is maybe he is still running things, imagine the boardroom at Cupertino is like "Weekend At Bernies"

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Samnsung is a MASSIVE company. I am just going to guess, but suing the mobile department might not have that big of an effect on Samsung's manufacturing department. I will wager they act as separate bodies within Samsung.

Then again, I might just be blowing hot air.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]"rather unlikely that the company will be deviating from its current form factor as Steve Jobs explained to the press"Newsflash: He's dead and not in charge anymore.[/citation]

Exactly. That is like saying Ford will not use modern tires because Henry Ford explained how 4.5 inches is the ideal width for a tire.

G

Samsung has been designing apples phones and shipping them parts forever. When you buy an apple product you basically get a samsung product with an ugly tiny form factor Samsung would never use and poor battery life due to a crappy OS. Thats the bottom line.

Apple sues samsung for outselling them because they don't make the same dumb decisious. but apple is selling samsung products they crippled and samsung could cut them off and let them die if they wanted. Apple has NOTHING on the hardware front. all they have is that horrible "OS"

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]apple, as much of a stereotype it is, has a built in user base that will guarantee millions of sales even with minimal marketing. the marketing they do put out is geared twards making people who arent at the zealot stage, think apple is the best ever, and mostly due to the iphone, they now have an extremely large user base who will buy the next whatever they make. samsung verywell has beat the apple in the phone and tablet area with its products, but people dont know it, even if they sunk a billion into marketing (a worth while amount, seeing it will seed the future of their products) they still probably wont convince enough to get it to make severing ties with apple viable option. remember this is a coperation that has stocks, if the investors dont like a move, such as dumping someone who bought 200+million products, it would be a worse fallout than just the initial apple revenue stopping. to top it off, potential buyers are getting locked out by injunctions and such.[/citation]

Well lets not get carried away. The tablet and S2 from Samsung are not even comparable to the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S - they are cheaper, not as good alternatives, no more no less.

If Samsung refused to produce Apple products, Apple would simply move production to another manufacturer (something which they have already taken steps towards), or invest some of their massive, massive stockpile of money to make the products themselves.

Samsung would lose out way more by refusing to manufacture products for Apple than Apple would. Take away that production volume and the prices of their handsets go up too. Lose lose for Samsung.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]"rather unlikely that the company will be deviating from its current form factor as Steve Jobs explained to the press"Newsflash: He's dead and not in charge anymore.[/citation]

The strategy he set in place a) lives on through the people he managed and b) is likely to be stuck to because it's been successful in the past. One man dying does not necessarily change the whole strategy of the company which has been a fundamental aspect in their overwhelming success.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]The SII is by far the best Android phone on the market. [/citation]

Not any more. RAZR...Rezound..Galaxy Nexus

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Corporations are not persons and they don't act as just one, even Apple. But Apple, particularly has to demonstrate this in the next years. However a big corporation needs a good leader or maybe a group of leaders.

It is the business opportunity after all what big corporations are locking for carefully as they can't survive on just emotions or feelings for too long. The perception there are "sides" in this, as the Apple side or the Samsung side is very dynamic and behaves differently than personal philosophies. The term "never" is more like for a while.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Lets be honest there is no way that apple won't put out an Ipad 3 next year or shortly after, they need to so all their diehard cult members will upgrade to the latest and greatest Iwhatever. They are guaranteed profit on just about anything concerning that.

With that being said you can give them a bad time about being overpriced shiny phones/tablets. But there is one thing they have go down and thats making them idiot proof with the user interface. I remember the first time I used my sisters Itouch having never used a smartphone or anything close to it and it was second nature to me. Where ever I thought something would be it was there, I didn't have to look for anything. Creating that experience is worth it's weight in gold to a lot of people.

With that being said I now own an droid incredible because I refuse to get a Iphone, specs are outdated on Iphones compared to current droid phones. And I can't drop in a MicroSD card to expand memory cheaply and I am not shelling out a few hundred dollars for more memory while it costs me $20 for that microSD card.

Status
Not open for further replies.