Rumor: Apple to Sell Contract-Free $350 iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Apple is starting to really piss off previous gen iPhone users. If they decide to release the iPhone 4s it better not be more expensive than my 2-year contract price with my iPhone 3GS! It just doesn't make sense to me. The iPhone 4 will not be mid level phone this fall, it will be a low end phone. Those 3gs should be going for dirt cheap or should stop being made if not.

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I don't think $350 for a 3GS is a good deal. It is a rip-off. $350 for a 2 year old phone? I think you'd be better off getting it for $50 with a 2-year contract.

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I think the other issue here is that the 3GS is GSM only. This means you can ONLY use it on T-mobile (With Edge, no 3G) or on ATT. I don't think the 3GS would be good for a prepaid phone.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
What? Someone said previous gen iphone with slower processor, weaker graphics, crappier screen, no front facing camera, all for $350? Plus its still locked to a super crappy network who overcharges their users and doesnt even offer unlimited data; cant be used on tmo?

whats not to like?

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
$350 isn't too bad, considering an entry level android phone(HTC Wildfire S) is similar priced. Though you cant expect people to talk sense on an Apple story.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
$350 not bad? I just paid $130 for an LG Optimus V for Virgin Mobile. Rooted it, loaded Gingerbread, and clocked it to 800mhz. Not sure what the 3GS has that makes it worth the extra $220.

G

You forgot, you must add in the Apple mark-up! Once taken into account, then the $350 makes perfect sense...

Makes me happy that Apple doesn't make games, otherwise I'd be paying $99 for any recent video game =/

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]$350 not bad? I just paid $130 for an LG Optimus V for Virgin Mobile. Rooted it, loaded Gingerbread, and clocked it to 800mhz. Not sure what the 3GS has that makes it worth the extra $220.[/citation]

LOL - It's unlocked - was your Optimus unlocked? All phones are a lot more expensive without a carrier lock and contract..

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The only reason Apple will sell this for $350, is that they don't want to undercut their iPod sales.

Who would buy a iPod if they could buy an iPhone for cheaper?[citation]

[nom]sundragon[/nom]LOL - It's unlocked - was your Optimus unlocked? All phones are a lot more expensive without a carrier lock and contract..[/citation]

"Without a Contract" does not equal "Unlocked," and only CDMA phones can be carrier locked so exactly what are you trying to say?

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Any cheap iPhone would need to be at least iPhone 4 like. Maybe drop a 4GB version or something contract free.. The battery life between 3GS and most droids vs iPhone is that dramatic.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
When they say "contract-free" do they mean it is fully unlocked GSM that works with any SIM card? Or that it's "contract-free", but restricted to only one pre-paid provider (such as AT&T)? They need to clarify that.

If it's fully unlocked, then $350 is a very good price. The unlocked iPhone 4 is $650 on Apple's website. Keep in mind that when you buy a phone without a contract, you are not being subsidized by the carrier, and you are paying the full cost for the phone. You may think you're getting a good deal on a $100 iPhone with a 2-year contract, but sit down and think about how much money that will cost you versus buying the phone outright and getting a T-Mobile prepaid plan with a data package. If you use wi-fi a lot, you don't need that big of a data plan anyway.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]LOL - It's unlocked - was your Optimus unlocked? All phones are a lot more expensive without a carrier lock and contract..[/citation]
If someone wants to pay $220 because they are too stupid to figure out how to root a phone then go ahead, it really isn't that hard to do.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Apparently, US is getting worse and worse. In Asia and Europe, 90% of the phones are sold without a contract. People want a PHONE, not "the whole package". So all this "locked/unlocked" price difference is a pile of BS. If I want a phone, I don't see why it has to come with a contract. This new scheme of "locking" the phones is pathetic. Together with useless Internet data plans it puts US to shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PhilipMichaels Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 9
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
exfileme Streaming Video & TVs 14
exfileme Streaming Video & TVs 6
JMcEntegart Streaming Video & TVs 4
exfileme Streaming Video & TVs 27
exfileme Streaming Video & TVs 37
JMcEntegart Streaming Video & TVs 47