Rumor: Apple's iTV Making Debut at WWDC 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Seriously, what's the point of an "iTV" anyways...?

Oh wait, so Apple can make more money off 50%+ profit margins...

no really, what's the point. If this thing is supposed to be so integrated, why would it even need to allow third parties to make accessories for it? Your TV doesn't need accessories beyond what we already buy...like maybe a dvd/blu-ray player...or speakers...and I'm at a loss as to what else we need or could want.

NVM, I want a self-replenishing microwave that I can connect to my TV I can control with my remote/voice that will warm up my food so I don't have to get up and go to the kitchen to do all of that!

lesz422

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Seriously, what's the point of an "iTV" anyways...?

same was said about the ipad? what was the point? would fail, no one would buy such a limited device, what the hell was apple thinking!?

well how did that go? i think the ipad has done quite well for apple? sold a few of them so far.....

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
The point is to further fragment Television services as we know them (free broadcasts versus subscription based broadcasting and on-demand services) to out right redefining Television, if for starters iTV is higher resolution than 1080 (2160 for example) and higher refresh rate than 60hz, they would be dictating new standards the way they have with Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad etc.

I've just found it interesting that over the years Apple hasn't done more to dictate standards for the content they help to distribute by controlling more labels and creating more content in-house. An Apple television studio dedicated to Apple products and news? It could happen.

How you find programs to watch and how you subscribe to new services should carry over from the iPhone experience. It should be more than just putting a picture on the screen. Also just imagine all the accessories they'd have lined up for a smarter television?

Also there's the full screen gaming without buying a Mac PC, which in any case iTV could have a Mac PC or iOS experience as in a desktop (for controlling your entertainment media and services), built in and not just be a dumb screen... in itself that's a huge reason to support the platform versus buying an out of date and out of touch Xbox Kinect, PS3 or Wii or Wii HD.

motheninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
To all the ignorant anti-apple pricks out there:

Without apple, you would not have the entire smartphone era. We would still be on flip phones with the business executives on Blackberry....

Without Apple, we would not have the thriving tablet market, we might have a couple of Archos tablets and that is it.

Apple revolutionized the music industry with the iPod and iTunes, the phone industry with the iPhone and the tablet and mobile computing industry with the iPad, the gaming industry with the iOS devices.

These are facts and if you all want to be stubborn bitches than be my guest. Currently most tvs sold are 1920 X 1080p. There are 4K televisions but they are not mainstream. If Apple even starts to announce 4K tvs then Samsung, LG, Sony all will rush to follow Apple in pushing their 4K tvs. I for one am excited to see what they do...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]motheninja[/nom]We would still be on flip phones with the business executives on Blackberry....[/citation]

Not that a BlackBerry was bad. It does its job superbly and securely.

G

I'm going to get two of these bad boys on launch day, one for my den, and one for the bedroom! I am definitely waiting in line for one, just so I can be the first person in my area to get one, so I can make all of my friends envious!

Can anyone help me out with a playlist for my camp? I'm thinking I'll need LOTS of Jack Johnson and Bruno Mars to get me through the wait. That and plenty of Starbucks, LOL!

frank_drebin

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
all Blockbuster stores closed around where i live, so maybe i should get appleTV box to get those movie rentals. Anyone knows if iTunes have the latest movie releases?

apophis_dd

Honorable
May 18, 2012
[citation][nom]motheninja[/nom]To all the ignorant anti-apple pricks out there:Without apple, you would not have the entire smartphone era. We would still be on flip phones with the business executives on Blackberry....Without Apple, we would not have the thriving tablet market, we might have a couple of Archos tablets and that is it. Apple revolutionized the music industry with the iPod and iTunes, the phone industry with the iPhone and the tablet and mobile computing industry with the iPad, the gaming industry with the iOS devices. These are facts and if you all want to be stubborn bitches than be my guest. Currently most tvs sold are 1920 X 1080p. There are 4K televisions but they are not mainstream. If Apple even starts to announce 4K tvs then Samsung, LG, Sony all will rush to follow Apple in pushing their 4K tvs. I for one am excited to see what they do...[/citation]

Apple revolutionised toys for adults with more money than sense, and showed the rest of the industry that, with a horde of zealous (and mindless) followers behind you, no amount of bad business practices or law suits based on falsified evidence will stop said hordes from buying the next piece of Apple shit.

lesz422

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
if apple is shit, what does that say for the rest? if some have more money then sense, and YOU dont unitise that to making profit, WHAT sort of company are you? because you wont be for long ( ask RIM)

apophis_dd

Honorable
May 18, 2012
[citation][nom]lesz422[/nom]if apple is shit, what does that say for the rest? if some have more money then sense, and YOU dont unitise that to making profit, WHAT sort of company are you? because you wont be for long ( ask RIM)[/citation]

Apple appeals to the lowest common denominator - the people whose first experience of an already existing and in use technology, is seeing it in an Apple commercial. They see some new gimmick, that of course they'll scarcely make use of once they get it, because all anyone ever wants to do on their iPad, is play Angry Birds and let their cats play with the piano.

Remember the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" campaign? Of course you do, it was a fantastic piece of marketing/propaganda that will stay with all of us for decades. It's message was, 'People who buy Apple products are cool, like Justin Long. Everyone else is an office-dwelling nerd.' Sadly for Apple, their campaign alienated a huge part of the market - the people who actually know shit about tech and computers and actually make productive use of the gimmicky crap. They would rather whole heartedly identify with the nerd than the cool guy, because the cool guy, ie. YOU, is a fucking moron. He thinks his 'tool' will help inspire ideas and art and music and all kinds of social media trash. But it is just a tool, like any machine, and those who work with their tools, rather than play with them, would rather they were affordable and uncluttered with worthless shit, like Angry fucking Birds.

lesz422

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
why are you so angry?

the point about the ipad is, "most" people were wrong about it bombing, and being worthless, it restarted the "tablet" era,

same with the "iTV" ( wont be called that in the UK) it will do well, very well, unlike windows 8.........

i dont think., that Apple cares how its users, er use its items, just as long as they buy loads of idevices, seems only you care........

maybe you should design and develop a product that is all that you want and sell it to the masses, with your theory, you cant go wrong, after all it cant be that hard, can it?

apophis_dd

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed in mankind. Is there a God? PC vs Mac? Coke or Pepsi? Anyone with any semblance of logic can answer these questions. If they took a moment to just think things through a little, they'd realise that in fact, NO, there's no God, all religion is nonsense. Yet the masses would rather believe in the fairytale, when the truth is actually more incredible and fantastic. The rest of us would normally be happy to stand back while your ilk stuck your Appley heads in the sand and refused to think for a moment, instead of going with the crowd. Except that your foolishness makes everything worse for the rest of us.

Apple make expensive as all hell shit, so everyone else has to start charging an arm and a leg for a phone/tablet/computer too. They have to keep the market competitive, which is crazy, when half the market has been flooded with shiny crud, built by suicidal, almost slave, labour. And they're usually the liberal ones! They want peace and thriving culture and for everything to be mellow and cool, but will happily turn a blind eye when their Steve Gods acts like a maniac.

Status
Not open for further replies.