Rumor: Electronic Arts Letting Go of 500 to 1,000 Workers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
i know studios usually layoff people or people work on a temporary contract. so this way new blood with creativity can come in and contribute to the next title. however with 13 million units sold of BF3. at the end of the day EA made about a net profit of 300 million dollars with BF3.

also I always get great customer support because i'm a reasonable person and i don't get angry when i communicate with people even if i'm frustrated.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Maybe if they let people play without their servers that they'll just be shutting down 2 years after release, they'd be able to sell more games and thus keep more people employed.

G

Good time to buy EA stocks. With the new generation of consoles around the corner, lots of morons will be scooping up the latest reincarnation of whatever run-of-the-mill FPS counter strike knockoff comes out for said consoles. This will cause EA's stocks to jump up....

G

Pretty sure the ME3 backlash had much to do with this also, as many disgruntled ME3 buyers are blanket boycotting EA in frustration.

Hold The Wallet.

Pinhedd

Distinguished
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]i know studios usually layoff people or people work on a temporary contract. so this way new blood with creativity can come in and contribute to the next title. however with 13 million units sold of BF3. at the end of the day EA made about a net profit of 300 million dollars with BF3. also I always get great customer support because i'm a reasonable person and i don't get angry when i communicate with people even if i'm frustrated.[/citation]

The marketing budget for BF3 is only a small faction of its development budget. BF3 is a AAA game that was developed on a massive budget that was released in a horribly unfinished state and complimented by horrid developer support, back end stability and customer service. The gaming community let EA get away with leaving Bad Company 2 in a buggy and unfinished state and have not been as forgiving with BF3.

BF3 was on sale only a few weeks after it was released which is not something that happens to a game that is selling well or meeting expectations.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
People pissed with BF3's launch + that entire Origin thing must have started this...or maybe ppl pissed with Crysis 2 not being on Steam...
then TOR...then ME3...i don't know, but i can't see many people pre-ordering Crysis 3 now. They just spoiled it for me at least, with all that crap DRM and inconvenient launch process for BF3. Yes, i have bought it, it's not a lame rant.

Honestly, i had more fun playing Tribes. (played release version, not the betas).

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]People pissed with BF3's launch + that entire Origin thing must have started this...or maybe ppl pissed with Crysis 2 not being on Steam...then TOR...then ME3...i don't know, but i can't see many people pre-ordering Crysis 3 now. They just spoiled it for me at least, with all that crap DRM and inconvenient launch process for BF3. Yes, i have bought it, it's not a lame rant.Honestly, i had more fun playing Tribes. (played release version, not the betas).[/citation]

BF3 did bring in more than 250+ millions in net profit. I accounted in sales, tax, other expensive.

I know DICE for a very long time, all their games are full of bug and improves as time goes along. I still play BC2, not so much BF3 because hardware limitations. BC2 is not buggy anymore and i dont see it as an unfinished game.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]BF3 did bring in more than 250+ millions in net profit. I accounted in sales, tax, other expensive.I know DICE for a very long time, all their games are full of bug and improves as time goes along. I still play BC2, not so much BF3 because hardware limitations. BC2 is not buggy anymore and i dont see it as an unfinished game.[/citation]
Yeah, i wasn't really complaining about that...but think about it, how old is BF2? I mean, it SHOULD be a finished game by now...
It's just that...you know, BF3 tried too hard to compete with CoD, TOR tried to compete with WoW probably...it's just EA vs Activision as far as sales and profits are concerned. They're not concerned with customer satisfaction or with what the dev team wants to get done...it's just about money god dammit.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Lets see.
C&C Tiberium Twilight - What a pice of garbage making many fans abandon that franchise and EA.
Orgins - With a eula that the user have to sign forfeiting pretty much all privacy.

My 2 cents.

G

They seriously need to rebuild the original Medal of Honor, Medal of Honor Underground, and Medal of Honor Frontline on today's technology and make them all for PC as well!!!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wmalinowski[/nom]If we are luckily, CEO (and some managers) will be first to go......[/citation]
this is ea, a company known for buying studios and than firing all the talent...

[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]i know studios usually layoff people or people work on a temporary contract. so this way new blood with creativity can come in and contribute to the next title. however with 13 million units sold of BF3. at the end of the day EA made about a net profit of 300 million dollars with BF3. also I always get great customer support because i'm a reasonable person and i don't get angry when i communicate with people even if i'm frustrated.[/citation]

sorry but you have to take this issue up with steam
sorry you have to take this issue up with ea

this little circle... lets end that thought there... was the result of buying battle field bad company 2 from steam and the online code not working for my little brother.

end result, had to buy it a second time.

[citation][nom]Pinhedd[/nom]The marketing budget for BF3 is only a small faction of its development budget. BF3 is a AAA game that was developed on a massive budget that was released in a horribly unfinished state and complimented by horrid developer support, back end stability and customer service. The gaming community let EA get away with leaving Bad Company 2 in a buggy and unfinished state and have not been as forgiving with BF3.BF3 was on sale only a few weeks after it was released which is not something that happens to a game that is selling well or meeting expectations.[/citation]

marketing was 20% additional cost to the development cost, so assume in the 10-20 million range.

that said, never had a problem with bfbc2 aside from one reocuring glitch, nothing i couldnt deal with though.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Yeah, i wasn't really complaining about that...but think about it, how old is BF2? I mean, it SHOULD be a finished game by now...It's just that...you know, BF3 tried too hard to compete with CoD, TOR tried to compete with WoW probably...it's just EA vs Activision as far as sales and profits are concerned. They're not concerned with customer satisfaction or with what the dev team wants to get done...it's just about money god dammit.[/citation]

yea, no... single player, probably, but not multiplayer, hell, i wish it tried to compete with modern warfare more... i have been in matches where not a single person is running around, everyone is in a vehicle, i never liked vehicles, but it was never that bad in bfbc2...

and tor chaseing wow... in some aspects... but those are standards for all mmos, in the meat of the game, its closer to a single player experience from what i hear. but that leave many to want to play it offline, not as an mmo, but as a kotor 3.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]also I always get great customer support because i'm a reasonable person and i don't get angry when i communicate with people even if i'm frustrated.[/citation]

I don't know where in the world you live, but in europe you can forget about good support.
At best you're being told to go back to the store and get the game credited, and at worst they tell you to uninstall antivirus, daemon tools and anything else that they can come up with instead of actually attempting to understand what the problem is.

I once bought an ea game (nfs) at a local store and couldn't get it to work. Turned out they'd sent the store the wrong version of the game (us instead of uk), and that simply wouldn't work without me telling the computer I was in the us. It was a known fault, but it didn't trigger the support tech's bells enough to ask about the version.

And the last few times I've had issues with ea games, I've just been told to try to reinstall the computer or the game.

In any event, I'm not too concerned with EA anymore, since they've pulled most of their titles from Steam making it much much less likely to get crapware on there.

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
By the time EA games are fixed, no one plays them anymore as they are tired of all the bugs/crashes.

So yes, 6 months- 1 year later they are good games but ignored.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
to bad they destroyed warhammer to -_- i loved the builder and then we gor warhammer 40k 2 im so happy i downloaded it first, i played 10 min before uninstalling it for life. and i try to love bf3 but the hardcore mode is way to randome all from 1-10 shoots to kill 1 soldier. hard core is =1-3shots at the most.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
EA's Origin BETA crap is doing nothing for this company's reputation. That whole not-ready-for-primetime product has cheapened the image of this company where the paying customer is the tester.

If you want to force people to authenticate when they launch the game, fine, but don't do it in some half-assed browser rendition. Do it inside the running game itself. EA should have their developers focus more on the game rather than this crap Origin launcher/shell BETA product.

Also, with these MMORPGs... Someone needs to come up with something truly original; not just change the scenery, costumes and weapons, but leave the game basically the same as the next one. This genre seems pretty stagnate at this time. EA hasn't done anything different than anyone else here.

This is one of those times in a company's history where they need to stop shoving things down consumers throats and truly listen to what their customers want.

Status
Not open for further replies.