Rumor: iPhone 4 Casing Will Be Touch-Sensitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
doesn't sound practical for a device that you pick up on a random basis, as one could inadvertently trigger any of these controls on the casing. Also, the prospect of fitting an actual protective casing on this kind of phone would go down, leaving it more vulnerable to "trauma".
I would not even consider buying it. After all, it's a phone, not some kind of delicate jewelry. Bad idea.

jbwhite99

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
how do you put a case on it to prevent it from being dropped? If there are touch-sensitive controls on it, then there is no place to put a case. Also opens you to pocket dialing. Sounds like the simplicity is going away...

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Now, if engineers at Apple could only invent a way to replace the battery easily on an iPhone. Maybe some sort of removable cover...possibly with a spring loaded catch. I might be on to something here....

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]homrqt[/nom]Jane.. for as much as you say you hate the apple rumor mill, you keep feeding it to us. Cut it out for a little while will ya?[/citation]

She should report on what is happening. For instance I cant stand Sony anything. Doesnt mean if I was a Tech reporter I wouldnt not report a story just because its Sony. Dont be a retard think before you speak.

Jane keep writing the news

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]homrqt[/nom]Jane.. for as much as you say you hate the apple rumor mill, you keep feeding it to us. Cut it out for a little while will ya?[/citation]

I try and keep it to a minimum.

Notice how in this post, I rounded up several rumors at once instead of posting each one individually, which would have been more annoying for you but more lucrative for us. Still, I refrain because I love you people.

There are tons more rumors (about the Apple tablet in particular) that I haven't posted - stylus patents, name patents, launch dates, shipping dates, prices, etc.

Like I said, I'm doing my best to post only the notable stuff. Sorry if it rubs you up the wrong way but it's part of my job to keep everyone informed.

[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]She should report on what is happening. For instance I cant stand Sony anything. Doesnt mean if I was a Tech reporter I wouldnt not report a story just because its Sony.[/citation]

What he said.

kayvonjoon

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I'm tired of these constant updates , everytime we get an updated version the rumors start "the next generation of iPhone to include this and that..." and i feel sorry for myself because i had spent $200 on a device that will become the out-dated model in 9 months.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]homrqt[/nom]I never said don't post any Apple articles ever. Why twist what I originally said? You complain about apple rumors and then post an article almost everyday about them. If you must report them, consolidate the rumors even more and post them less![/citation]

I wish I could thumb you down to -20 myself. Shut it.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]homrqt[/nom]I never said don't post any Apple articles ever. Why twist what I originally said? You complain about apple rumors and then post an article almost everyday about them. If you must report them, consolidate the rumors even more and post them less![/citation]

I didn't twist anything. I just said I try and keep it to a minimum.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]doesn't sound practical for a device that you pick up on a random basis, as one could inadvertently trigger any of these controls on the casing. Also, the prospect of fitting an actual protective casing on this kind of phone would go down, leaving it more vulnerable to "trauma".I would not even consider buying it. After all, it's a phone, not some kind of delicate jewelry. Bad idea.[/citation]
It's designed by apple they actually take some thought in their engineering, I doubt it'll be easy to "inadvertently trigger".

You're point about the protective casing is valid, but if you're only looking for a device to function as a phone, look elsewhere. I know, I know the name is misleading but it does do a heck of a lot more then send and receive voice, you have to admit.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"Chen says the use of such material could see Apple offer touch-sensitive features on the rear of the handset."

why?

F U Apple, I'm not going to play any of your stupid "lets leak ideas out and see what people think" game anymore.

so yes, I think this is a fantastic idea, I think that the extra cost, complexity and the fact that it still doesn't have tactile feedback is a small price to pay for something soo awesome, becuse just adding some decent buttons on the side would be lame.

I think that reports like "magic mouse best Apple mouse ever but still not as good as a normal mouse" should be ignored, and are just the comments of the elitest few who were blessed with the sense of touch.

and I think the new input system is really going to take off, cause all developers will instantly use it and won't mind having to write completely different input systems for old versions of the device, I mean look at all the people eagerly harnessing the extra power and tech in the 3GS!!

honestly, anything that gets your fingers off the screen is good I suppose...

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Personally, I find Jane the only reporter on TH who doesn't make me feel like puking from Apple OD (overdose).

Also, Tom's Commentators seem particularly rabid today!

Status
Not open for further replies.