Rumor: iPhone 5 and iPad 3 to Use 4G LTE Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think the Droid Razr showed you can put LTE in a thin phone so they really don't have an excuse.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Wow, so iphone late to the game announces it like they created it as usual.[/citation]

Thats the norm for Apple though. They never have the latest and greatest, they just make it sound like its a revolution when other have had the "new" tech for months if not years.

Now I guess I will go and enjoy my Droid Bionics 4G LTE speeds right now instead of waiting for it.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
This is exactly why I feel those that bought the 4S were ripped off. They should have rolled out a fully functioning LTE machine but instead they stuck to their schedule when LTE chips weren't ready and released a slightly thinner slightly faster machine.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
iZombies disappointed with Iphone4S? Juu gotta be kiddin'. Even if Apple release iPhone4G with just the addition of 4G, they'd still buy it.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
personally i think apple did a good good thing by not releasing the iPhone 5 this year, 4G is very spotty at best...let the network get bigger and better then launch the hardware to take advantage of it....very , very good thinking

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]surda[/nom]LTE is old news, its been around for over a year, even MetroPCS has it.[/citation]

How is an entire network old news after a year when it is barely even rolled out yet. The only carrier will decent coverage is Verizon. AT&T just got started rolling it out.

elforeign

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Lol @ all your comments, 4G is only available in few states, and even then it's only within a major regional area of that state. Tom's elitist tech readers believing the T-mobile "our 3G is magically 4G" hype? Come on people, buy what you want and enjoy it, don't go trolling through hating every other phone just because your friends daddies' cousin doesn't like it.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
"Of course it will have LTE. Apple is always last to adopt new technology..."

Like thunderbolt?
Apple is a mixed bag on new technology adoption, so that is not true.

Don't confuse Apple products not having the most powerful specs with their adoption on new technologies. They may not implement the most powerful new technology but that is far away from not being among the first companies to include a new technology. Notoriously Apple has been first with some Intel processors like the first MacBook Air.

G

> LTE is old news, its been around for over a year, even MetroPCS has it.

Very wide spread on Verizion.

Almost nonexistent on AT&T.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Wow, so iphone late to the game announces it like they created it as usual.[/citation]

I'm sorry, when and where did Apple announce anything, let alone "like they created it"?

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Of course it will have LTE. Apple is always last to adopt new technology. They could've put it in the 4s but why when they can milk the iSheep for more money?[/citation]

Troll's gonna troll.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Of course it will have LTE. Apple is always last to adopt new technology. They could've put it in the 4s but why when they can milk the iSheep for more money?[/citation]

Yeah, Apple were always last to introduce the fastest CPU/GPU combination of any phone in the world.

Oh, wait.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]elforeign[/nom]Lol @ all your comments, 4G is only available in few states, and even then it's only within a major regional area of that state. Tom's elitist tech readers believing the T-mobile "our 3G is magically 4G" hype? Come on people, buy what you want and enjoy it, don't go trolling through hating every other phone just because your friends daddies' cousin doesn't like it.[/citation]

Very much agree with this. In the UK 4G isn't even available yet - as in many countries - and where it is available its performance is suspect anyway. Seems like the iPhone 5 would be a good time for Apple to introduce 4G at a time when the majority of people can actually take advantage of it.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Like thunderbolt?[/citation]
Sure Macbooks have a Thunderbolt port, but the jury is still out on Thunderbolt devices to plug into it are anywhere to be seen
They would have been better off sticking with USB3 and waiting for Thunderbolt to go optical like originally intended

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Sure Macbooks have a Thunderbolt port, but the jury is still out on Thunderbolt devices to plug into it are anywhere to be seenThey would have been better off sticking with USB3 and waiting for Thunderbolt to go optical like originally intended[/citation]

I agree, there aren't many Thunderbolt devices yet and from a business perspective a VGA connection is always better to connect to projectors etc.

But I don't want to fault Apple for trying to be so far ahead of the curve - I guess if you do that there's always going to be a bit of time before the devices and infrastructure catch up.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]I guess if you do that there's always going to be a bit of time before the devices and infrastructure catch up.[/citation]
Assuming of course that the industry goes the Thunderbolt route and it doesn't turn into the Betamax of connectivity, ie, technologically superior but ultimately a commercail failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.