Rumor: iPhone 5 Prototype Points to 1GB of RAM, Faster CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
So.. Somehow they want to fit a chip that requires a 40W/h battery for long battery life into a phone? Does anybody else see a problem here?

Unless they downclock that puppy quite a bit or employ some serious power saving technology, they won't be getting close to the battery life of their last iPhone.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Why does everyone call it iphone 5? Iphone 4 was the first numbered iphone and was so named because it was the fourth iphone:
iPhone
iPhone 3g
iPhone 3gs
iPhone 4
iPhone 4s

We are due for the iphone 6.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
It's almost given that there will be an A5X in the next iPhone, just clocked a little lower to keep power use in check since it has a smaller battery to power it.

The A5X in the iPad is a dual core A9 @1Ghz with a PowerVR SGX543MP4 @250Mhz.
My bet for the next iPhone is dual core A9 @800Mhz with a PowerVR SGX543MP4 @175-200Mhz.

The next iPod Touch getting the A5 for the sake of cost cutting so they can keep it at the current price would make sense to me.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
@erunion

Thank you!!! I've been making this argument for quite a while now. The iPhone 4s is really the iPhone 5. If they were going purely based on aesthetic design changes, then technically the iPhone 4 is really the iPhone 3, but the 4s IS the 5th generation iPhone. Therefore, the next iPhone should be considered the iPhone 6.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
@erunion

Thank you! I've been making this argument for quite a while now. It makes no since to call the next iPhone, iPhone 5. Technically speaking, as you pointed out, the 4s is the iPhone 5.

obsama1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Apple can't keep putting 800MHz processors in their phones. Samsung is coming out with a 2GHz Exynos dual-core soon! Come summer, and we'll have 1.5GHz-2GHz quad-cores in phones! Also, I agree with calling it the iPhone 6.

christarp

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]So.. Somehow they want to fit a chip that requires a 40W/h battery for long battery life into a phone? Does anybody else see a problem here?Unless they downclock that puppy quite a bit or employ some serious power saving technology, they won't be getting close to the battery life of their last iPhone.[/citation]
Apple doesn't use the same display that the ipad uses. The display is one of the most power consuming parts of any mobile device.

[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]Apple can't keep putting 800MHz processors in their phones. Samsung is coming out with a 2GHz Exynos dual-core soon! Come summer, and we'll have 1.5GHz-2GHz quad-cores in phones! Also, I agree with calling it the iPhone 6.[/citation]
A higher clock speed ins't always relative to better performance. Pushing higher clock speeds actually increases the amount of power it uses, focusing on architecture of the CPU is actually more beneficial at this point in mobile devices because of the stagnate development of batteries. And yes I just said that the display takes the biggest amount of power, but that's not to say other parts don't use some as well. Squeezing every bit of power out of a mobile device is required.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Nexus52085[/nom]@erunionThank you! I've been making this argument for quite a while now. It makes no since to call the next iPhone, iPhone 5. Technically speaking, as you pointed out, the 4s is the iPhone 5.[/citation]

[citation][nom]erunion[/nom]Why does everyone call it iphone 5? Iphone 4 was the first numbered iphone and was so named because it was the fourth iphone:iPhoneiPhone 3giPhone 3gsiPhone 4iPhone 4sWe are due for the iphone 6.[/citation]

Um, no.

It's called the iPhone 5 because 4 comes after 5. Did you complain when the iPhone 3G was released and NOT called the iPhone 2?

Do you have issue that Tekken 4 wasn't called Tekken 5 because Tekken Tag Tournament was released between 3 and 4? Tag was an evolution of the game, hence didn't get a version number unto itself. Same as the iPhone 4S - it's an evolution of the previous model.

How about we make everybody happy and just refer to it as the "next" or "new" iPhone, just like Apple did with the iPad 3.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Samsung Galaxy SIII will simply blow the iPhone 5 (6) out of the water. Isn't the SIII supposed to come out before the new iphone anyways?

As great as the iPhone is/was, its really starting to fall behind. It pretty much created a whole new market of product (and secondary market via the iPad), but I feel like Apple has been scrambling the past year or so. Samsung is already making better phones and has pretty much leapfrogged Apple in terms of a quality of product, not to mention sheer power.

As much as I dislike Apple...I don't like to see companies just falter and die (not that Apple's dying right now). I would hope that they release another phone (smartphone) that's much better than the rest and have everyone try to make something better. That competition has done wonders for the mobile phone market and for the electronics market in general (phones, tablets, cpus, making things smaller, etc.)

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]fudoka711[/nom]I don't like to see companies just falter and die (not that Apple's dying right now). I would hope that they release another phone (smartphone) that's much better than the rest and have everyone try to make something better. That competition has done wonders for the mobile phone market and for the electronics market in general (phones, tablets, cpus, making things smaller, etc.)[/citation]

Apple?!? Falter and die?!? I guess you have to be pro Apple or something because as of right now even if they released nothing for 5 years it would still be a huge company. Their market value is almost $600 billion and is #1. When something becomes that big, even death takes a long time. Even Nokia with their numerous failures and setbacks are still there, and they were nowhere big as Apple even at the height of their success.

Apple could use a bit of faltering and "die-ing".

G

Its not evem out yet and its already outdated, always the case with iPhones. By the time this comes out Androids will be on quad-cores with 2gig ram.

G

"Their market value is almost $600 billion "

Apple stock is over valued. Ask Nokia what happens when you believe you have a product strategy that cant fail. Apple have created a brand new market but its a market that churns almost every handheld device in 3 years or less. They are selling consumer devices and consumers are horribly fickle. Itunes and the App store make Apple sticky not the devices and I can see a time when apple will be forced to open Itunes up to other vendors.

jamsbong

Distinguished
May 7, 2002
where is my comment? OK, I'll try again.

The new iphone must use cutting edge hardware to keep up with competition. I suspect better CPU and RAM. GPU is not really needed as smartphone screen are so small (low res).
regarding ipad3 power consumption, it is mainly due to the retina display. the A5X chip is very efficient and the extra battery is needed for the screen, not the chip.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]Um, no.It's called the iPhone 5 because 4 comes after 5. Did you complain when the iPhone 3G was released and NOT called the iPhone 2?Do you have issue that Tekken 4 wasn't called Tekken 5 because Tekken Tag Tournament was released between 3 and 4? Tag was an evolution of the game, hence didn't get a version number unto itself. Same as the iPhone 4S - it's an evolution of the previous model.How about we make everybody happy and just refer to it as the "next" or "new" iPhone, just like Apple did with the iPad 3.[/citation]
Yeah but we're talking about apple. it'll be iPhone 6. the 4S IS the 5

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Yeah but we're talking about apple. it'll be iPhone 6. the 4S IS the 5[/citation]

No, it's not. The 4S is the fifth iPhone to be released.

The 3G name meant the phone was 3G capable, the 3GS was an improvement. The iPhone 4 was a completely new device and just so happened to be the 4th model to come out, so the increased version number fit nicely. iPhone 5 would indicate a whole new device, the 4S was (like the 3GS) an improvement only.

The new iPhone is going to be a new device once again, so the model number is going to change. Yes, it's the sixth model so "iPhone 6" fits, but it just sounds weird to miss out 5. Also it then sets a weird precedent if you only get even-numbered phones because the improvements/refreshes get a "S" suffix.

Think of it as iPhone "version" 5 - just makes more sense.

But why the hell am I debating the name of an Apple product? It's only a bloody iPhone!

Status
Not open for further replies.