Rumor: iPhone 5 to Feature Quad-core CPU from Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How could Apple and Samsung possibly work together on this after the legal battle over tablets? Makes no sense as each company wants the other gone.

chromonoid

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
[citation][nom]Kapper[/nom]How could Apple and Samsung possibly work together on this after the legal battle over tablets? Makes no sense as each company wants the other gone.[/citation]
of course not dummy, samsung has manufactured iPhones CPUs since ever.

englandr753

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Unless the network is making changes to support quads, I'm certain, as usual, that the US market will get a downgraded product compared to the rest of the world thanks to the market being comfortable charging what they do with lagging services compared to the rest of the world.

G

The cell phone network could care less what processor you have in the phone...this is a compatibility issue between the CPU and RF chipset.

gfair

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]So why does LTE eats 2 cores?[/citation]

My guess is the leading edge is being pursued so aggressively that quad cores suck too much battery for LTE, so to save useable life, 2 cores are dropped.

[citation][nom]Kapper[/nom]How could Apple and Samsung possibly work together on this after the legal battle over tablets? Makes no sense as each company wants the other gone.[/citation]

Kapper - Samsung isn't just competing for smartphone sales, it's a vertically integrated corporation that makes CPUs and screens as well, both of which are also in an arms race. And the iPhone is the #1 selling smartphone overall (if not recently due to the SGS3), so Samsung's competition is also one of its largest customers and gives it a healthy amount of revenue and profit to drive the CPU arms race.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

FRAND.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]gfair[/nom]My guess is the leading edge is being pursued so aggressively that quad cores suck too much battery for LTE, so to save useable life, 2 cores are dropped.Kapper - Samsung isn't just competing for smartphone sales, it's a vertically integrated corporation that makes CPUs and screens as well, both of which are also in an arms race. And the iPhone is the #1 selling smartphone overall (if not recently due to the SGS3), so Samsung's competition is also one of its largest customers and gives it a healthy amount of revenue and profit to drive the CPU arms race.[/citation]

Samsung also produces RAM chips and I think that they make NAND flash chips too. Heck, they might make even more.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]SlitelyOff[/nom]Why don't quad cores work with LTE? What does a signal/communication protocol have to do with the number of CPU's?[/citation]

I have yet to see a mobile software that uses quad-cores. Heck, many of the laptop/desktop software are just starting to use quad-cores.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Its probably the same - exact CPU with the GS3 International version,.. but I guess devotees would still flock and revel it like crazy.

G

I know the score. Apple buys from samsung. Uses profits to sue Samsung some more. Samsung smiles. It's laughs a great Buddha laugh. And it sells apple more chips.

It's not a journey of a thousand days, it's a journey of a thousand years.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i cant wait till someone drops 2 arm quads into a tablet or smartphone, just because they can.

think of it, the cpus are pretty cheap, and with windows you could see the use of an 8 core system, and look at the ipad 3 and the better games there, getting close to console quality, dual chip and have them work in tandem, and well damn, you got allot of power there.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
For Samsung it's better to make some money off each phone sold, if they can't make all of it, then zero.

For Apple, they'd have to pay more from a different supplier which would cut into their profits. Or worse yet, may not be able to get enough supply from one vendor to sucker all the isheeps into buying the new iphone 5.02 GS XL edition (now 1 MHz faster).

Plus both companies can deduct the legal costs, and may be able to tap into the contingency funds to still hit manager / CxO bonus targets.

I might be a little suspicious, but I've always wondered if two companies in such a situation we're actually in collusion. Apple: We get the US / Germany market, you sell us the chips for an additional 2% above normal and you can have the tertiary EU/Asian/African markets.

Samsung: OK but we have to make it look good, and we get to release our better model once you've sold 55% of the base supply of model 4g and you can sell the 5 once we have 80% of our base stock sold. Now lets talk Q4 selling ....

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gfair[/nom]My guess is the leading edge is being pursued so aggressively that quad cores suck too much battery for LTE, so to save useable life, 2 cores are dropped.Kapper - Samsung isn't just competing for smartphone sales, it's a vertically integrated corporation that makes CPUs and screens as well, both of which are also in an arms race. And the iPhone is the #1 selling smartphone overall (if not recently due to the SGS3), so Samsung's competition is also one of its largest customers and gives it a healthy amount of revenue and profit to drive the CPU arms race.[/citation]
it's called laziness...the manufacturers need to step it up...why does everyone get 4 cores yet we only get two?....who is controlling this crap?

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
4 cores in are only needed in gaming rigs. Not cell phones.

If they have made their CPU's efficient enough to add in 4 cores, they should just stick to 2 cores and allow the cores to overclock themselves higher on demand.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
My next phone 2 years down the line better have a hexacore processor, Windows based, a battery that can last a few days and better be able to run Crysis. Otherwise, I'll enjoy my MAXX until then. When that happens, buh-bye iPhone! No one will care about crap apps like fart sound boards, butt puzzles and stripping cows.

Status
Not open for further replies.