Rumor: Jobs Scrapped the iPhone 5 Shortly Before Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
This must be old news... Jobs is dead... Died in Oct.. But it figures... He's odd personal tastes influenced the whole line... That's just another reason why I don't use a mini-screen phone.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
my samsung focus is 4". I think that's about as small as I could go for a phone. I don't have puny fingers. I really can't even type on the iPhones. I wouldn't be surprised if the made the iPhones bigger soon now that Jobs is gone

species8472

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
What a dick! He scrapped a product because "he didn't like it?" Apple did everything on his whims it would seem. No one else had any say in anything.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Amusing how Job's main goal was to destroy android (see his biography), but his strategy only backfired upon him. By attacking the other companies (samsung etc) it only motivated them to make better, MUCH better devices to stay on the market, and in turn they have taken up more market share.

This iPhone 5 being scrapped before launch certainly would not have helped his case.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Oh and adding to everyone else's fapping: Just got myself a Galaxy Note, IMO the best purchase I ever made. 5.3 inch 1280*800 SuperAmoled screen is a godsend

synd

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
That is the only good thing Jobs has done to the world. Good job Jobs, you saved us from another hyper-expensive, overrated and bad iPhone

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]I opted to the Galaxy 2 because of the larger screen over the iPhone 4S. Now I am glad I switched over to the Android camp.[/citation]

Even though the Iphone is a more powerful device?

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I agree with Jobs, I think the current iPhone size is about right... it's one of the bigger reasons I went for Apple instead of getting one of the larger Droid phones (which are too big IMO).

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
do you introduce a mostly superior product when you can sell solely on brand name?
do you introduce a mostly superior product when you can sell a slightly improved version of the existing product on the same high price using hype?
do you ido you introduce a mostly superior product when you have a huge army of blind-to-logic fanboys/girls who buy any of your stuff without a question?
if the brand is apple, then answers to all the above questions are yes.
don't bring jobs into this, he passed away - now someone is spreading stuff about him.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]By attacking the other companies (samsung etc) it only motivated them to make better, MUCH better devices to stay on the market, and in turn they have taken up more market share.[/citation]

I agree that it did motivate them to make much better products than the crap they were making, but they accomplished this making exact replicas of the iphone, making them inherently inferior to the iPhone.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]Care to elaborate on "more powerful device"?[/citation]
Better rated GPU than both the galaxy nexus and the galaxy 2, a MUCH more lightweight OS (and hence why the CPU can be downgraded which in turn improves battery life). Look at the reviews on the galaxy 2 - massive complaints regarding battery life. Check it all on google, you'll see what i mean.

ruel24

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I call BS. Apple always has multiple projects going based on future products. They pick and choose from the best designs. iPhone 5 was never meant to be released until all the carriers could be onboard and LTE chips that are small enough and don't hog battery life are available. Expect the iPhone 5 in mid-summer with a single phone suporting LTE and all carriers in the US in one phone. Unlike some people have come to expect, Apple's products are more evolutionary than revolutionary. Apple does not reinvent the wheel with every release. The current design was new with iPhone 4 and the last design lasted with 3 releases. It only makes sense that the current design get used with a minimum of one additonal release. It remains to be seen if Apple redesigns the case for iPhone 5. Somehow, I think it'll just be a tweak, using a slightly larger screen.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Better rated GPU than both the galaxy nexus and the galaxy 2, a MUCH more lightweight OS (and hence why the CPU can be downgraded which in turn improves battery life). Look at the reviews on the galaxy 2 - massive complaints regarding battery life. Check it all on google, you'll see what i mean.[/citation]

They JUST fixed the 4S's battery life, and that's a new device... SGS2 has been there for almost a year now. Besides, WTF are you gonna do with that CPU? :D SGS2 has USB-on-the-Go and HDMI and bigga/better screen, this is what I need. Though now I want a Galaxy Note instead!

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]I agree that it did motivate them to make much better products than the crap they were making, but they accomplished this making exact replicas of the iphone, making them inherently inferior to the iPhone.[/citation]

huh? Yeah that original Samsung Galaxy is such "crap they were making", supporting flash, FLAC (instead of a proprietary lossless format), AMOLED screen with better contrast ratio and brightness, FAR less restrictive OS, easier drag and drop file transfers from Windows, non-proprietary cabling (micro USB), true multitasking and easier methods to end active tasks.

Based on internet comments alone it does sound like the newer iphones battery life is better, except when you install some additional apps which somehow kill battery life despite the Iphone's supposedly superior method of shutting down apps when you switch to another. Then when you complain about it on forums some people question your intelligence by just saying that's not possible, you're wrong and somehow are not able to observe the time on a clock to tell how long your own phone's battery lasted.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]They JUST fixed the 4S's battery life, and that's a new device... SGS2 has been there for almost a year now. Besides, WTF are you gonna do with that CPU? SGS2 has USB-on-the-Go and HDMI and bigga/better screen, this is what I need. Though now I want a Galaxy Note instead![/citation]
Better/bigger screen with a worse battery and a less powerful GPU. Good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.