Rumor: Next Xbox's Blu-ray for Games, Not Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaxamenes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Well, looks like I won't need to be upgrading to the new Xbox when it comes out if they want to play that way. My PS3 upconverts DVDs really nicely and plays blu-ray discs without any extra charges.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Sorry to say this...but:

What did you poor console gamers expect?!?! They rape you with $60 games and try to stop you from selling back your used games. Of course they will nickle and dime you. That $300-350 console doesn't sound all that attractive to me.

MAC_HATER

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
so far all im seeing from both the PS4 and Next Xbox camps are features that hurt the customer and items they dont want - at this stage i cant bey either as they block me from doing certain things with it - things that are most of the reason i would consider buying one - sure games are fine, but they also get a lot of use as multimedia machines, thats ok i can just spend the money on the car instead - at least it doesnt take my cash and then constantly try and dog me at every turn

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Call me a conspiracy theorist but if this claim is true than I believe the restriction is in place in hopes that people will use the streaming services and they likely figured out a way to profit from such a method. Perhaps they will use and restrict only to their own service this time around I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't mind owning a Netflix like service. Or perhaps it's some sort deal struck with the streaming services either way be sure if this rumor is true they did it with the intent on maximizing profits

samal90

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
these are all rumors...so don't believe everything you hear. It makes absolutely no sense to do this kind of thing. Microsoft is not dumb.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
LOL - Content providers are so F****** Clueless... it's TOTALLY priceless

Message to Consumer from Corporate America: "YOU DON'T HAVE A RIGHT TO USE THE HARDWARE YOU BUY FREELY AS YOU SEE FIT"

This is why I will never buy a BluRay™ player or media... never ever.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
if this is true then i will buy a ps4 where they are going to nickel and dime me to death for every little thing like mircosoft does with the xbox 360

mikemp3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
You don't have to buy another X-box, trapped in the must have the next device rut. Go out side and play ball with your kids , have a picnic, enjoy time with the people that are not stuck in front of the box.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Oh no, now you'll have to use one of the other 5 devices you already own that plays Blu-ray movies like you do now. Not being able to play movies really crippled Wii sales.

boju

Distinguished

It isnt Bluray or Sony's fault Microsoft want to be an ass about it. If they can worth together it would be worthwhile options for all consumers only separating those for appealing exclusive games and fanboyism. Either case helps each other to nullify the possibility of excessive pricing from either part and Nintendo.

Also i encourage you to view Bluray movies as it is the only means of viewing true 1080p playback (unless pirating) and not to mention the space available on Bluray Disks giving plenty of room for also uncompressed audio.

boju

Distinguished
To add, i'll keep an open mind to the possibility the news relayed here could not be 100% accurate and further behind the scenes Microsoft could be limited to the use of content under their licensing agreement and aren't slandering about it.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Assuming this is true, it could lower the price of the next XBox by about $20, than if the feature came with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.