S. Carolina to Craigslist: Ditch the Smut And Sluts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
When are prosecutors going to understand, these services are here because people will use them, not the other way around. You take down one service, someone will take advantage of the criminal demographic.

They should be using these services to catch criminals, and lessen the illegal traffic to these services, rather than the punishing service providers for irresponsible criminals.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I think McMaster is doing this largely because he's seen as a strong candidate for the up-coming gubernatorial election, which are the same year as the next AG election. It sure could help cinch his nomination (and subsequent election) if he managed to get a highly-visible case where he's seen to be tough on smut/hos and "THINGing OF THE CHILDREN!!!" Nobody would dare call him on it unless they're itching to be seen defending prostitution. It's all a huge stunt which will probably have a negligible positive impact on prostitution, if not a big negative one.

Realistically, the "erotic services" section of Craigslist probably helps contain and reduce the amount of illicit for-pay lovin' that goes on through the service.

This also highlights one of the idiosyncrasies with the law and prostitution. It would be perfectly legal to put out or answer a personal ad with every intention of just shacking up for the night. As soon as any money changes hands, however, that's vice and illegal!

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Truth wheels...on both counts. ;)

Granted the which hunt is silly (as most are). It would be far better if the prostitutes are allowed to clearly inidcate they want to get paid for sex so that people NOT interested can avoid those ads.

Its not like forcing prostitutes to word things more cryptically will suddenly make them dissapear. /sigh

G

So apparently taking a women out to an expensive dinner in hopes of getting laid is morally preferable to just giving one money outright for sex. The crime is that prostitution is illegal, it's nobody's business... One needs to look no further than Amsterdam's red-light district to see how harmless it really would be to legalize it...

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
It shouldn't be illegal. I do suggest that the police leave the independents alone and go after the human traffickers. Just click on any Asian posting and there you go.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]ProstitutionFanboi[/nom]So apparently taking a women out to an expensive dinner in hopes of getting laid is morally preferable to just giving one money outright for sex.[/citation]

Or you could prefer to do neither and see if they like you for your interests, life, and hobbies instead. That always seems to work out best for me anyway. ;)

That said...yeah...I tend to agree that outlawing prostitution has never had positive effects and legalizing has yet to prove a bad thing. Both in terms of the quality of life for the people who choose that line of work and it seems for society as a whole, they pay taxes like anyone else.

ehenry818

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hilton Head (yes, that's a real city)

OK are you kidding me? Why would you need to put it's a real city? Hilton head is a well known area, especailly for golf. Are people here that perverted that they would think otherwise.....

Prostitution needs to be legalized, taxed and regulated.
The first part yes the second two no. We don't need even more bureaucracy. If legalized prostitution will start regulating itself like it did in the 1800's and before.

For people whom care about avoiding disease there would be proper whore houses where the clients and prostitutes are checked for disease, they could even be listed in customer review websites so those known to harbor diseased workers would lose business thus enticing them to stay clean. Their would also be the ordinary street walkers for people whom do not care about disease. Right now there is only the choice of a street walker loaded with disease in most states.

Although personally I don't think I would ever use the services of a prostitute. An actual relationship is much more preferable.

G

They funny thing is, I first checked out craigs list a little before they built those 'special' sections. I checked out the socializing/platonic friendships or something like that section, cause I'd just moved and wanted to find some people that might be cool to hang out with. Right after they built the Erotic Services section, all the platonic people disappeared... :3

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]solymnar[/nom]Or you could prefer to do neither and see if they like you for your interests, life, and hobbies instead. That always seems to work out best for me anyway.[/citation]
Or you could read or make a post on the NSA section of craigslist.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
It's about time. There was a program on MSNBC the other day about how pimps have been using Craig's list to sell their women. Unbelievable. How is this s*it legal? Why are we making these damned p*mps' jobs easier and safer? They can avoid getting arrested almost completely.

Enough about the defense that Craig's list just provides a listing service. In that case, you can claim that a newspaper that allows al qaeda to list recruiting ads is just "providing a service. "

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]mrfisthand[/nom]I wonder how frequently these politicians use these services themselves.[/citation]

I wonder how they are so knowledgeable of Craigslist's seedy prostitution?

And for everyone giving my other post a negative...

...THING THIS!! *grabbing crotch*

Status
Not open for further replies.