S-video to tv

windseaker

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
I was connecting my gateway M465-E to my older Samsung TV S-video plug and watching recording but it just wont link-up anymore. I would just connect the s-video plug to laptop and TV and reboot and the laptop would find the connection and I could see the desktop screen on the TV, but it just will not find the connection anymore. Do I need to reinstall a driver or download something to help the laptop find the s-video output?

Any ideas about what is happening here?

Solution
Typically a laptop has an external monitor mode switch, which is usually a hotkey on the keyboard (something like Fn + F#) in order to switch on the S-video output.

Besides that make sure your TV is set to the proper input port to display.

AntiZig

Distinguished
Typically a laptop has an external monitor mode switch, which is usually a hotkey on the keyboard (something like Fn + F#) in order to switch on the S-video output.

Besides that make sure your TV is set to the proper input port to display.

Solution

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Also keep in mind that S-Video with laptops is kind of finicky anyway. we use it with a desktop as our home theater pc.

For Dell computers its like FN+F6 or F8 depending on model.

Question:

When you goto Dispaly properties does it show 1 monitor or 2?

AntiZig

Distinguished
^ oh yeah, reading that brought me to another point I forgot to mention

the signal that is sent out on the s-video port, needs to be of proper resolution that your TV can support

so as c911 said, once you plug the tv in and it's powered on, go to the display properties and check that it's recognized, then set the 2nd monitor resolution to the one your TV supports

windseaker

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

How do you know what the TV resolution is????