Sager NP9773 vs Sager NP8672

Djafireball

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015
So the Sager NP9773 has a way better cpu with and i7-4790, but has a gtx 970m graphics card. The Sager NP8672 has i7-4720HQ, but a gtx 980m graphics card. My question is, since the NP8672 has a better gpu does that mean it is the better and more powerful laptop even though it has a worse cpu compared to the NP9773. I play games like the Witcher 3 and Titanfall and would like to have this laptop for atleast 4-5 years. Will I still get great performance 3 years from now. Also, is there another laptop that is better than these while still staying under $1800.

Solution
xoticpc.com - I'm sure you have looked there, where you can completely customize the build. I would absolutely go better GPU over CPU as the CPU has a turbo mode and as it stands stock will not throttle the GPU at all. On those models you can always upgrade the CPU down the road if you really want to, or find a sale somewhere for a cheaper refurb.

If you have a $1800 budget, and you really want to future proof yourself. there is a version of Sager on that site for maybe $1850 or so that has a 980m 8GB VRAM with i7 (probably one of the lower ones you stated) but also has a spare slot for a second GPU, so down the road you can SLI if you ever get the craving or if they drop in price over the next few years. then you can upgrade your CPU...

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014
xoticpc.com - I'm sure you have looked there, where you can completely customize the build. I would absolutely go better GPU over CPU as the CPU has a turbo mode and as it stands stock will not throttle the GPU at all. On those models you can always upgrade the CPU down the road if you really want to, or find a sale somewhere for a cheaper refurb.

If you have a $1800 budget, and you really want to future proof yourself. there is a version of Sager on that site for maybe $1850 or so that has a 980m 8GB VRAM with i7 (probably one of the lower ones you stated) but also has a spare slot for a second GPU, so down the road you can SLI if you ever get the craving or if they drop in price over the next few years. then you can upgrade your CPU as well and not have to worry about getting a new laptop, just keep upgrading.

I personally love that option as I usually stick with a laptop for several years because it's so personal to me.

Solution

Djafireball

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015
Now the question is SAGER NP8672 Vs. SAGER NP9377. If going with a higher GPU rather than CPU is better for gaming performance, then does dedicated memory matter. Yes, I am looking at Xoticpc.com, as they have the best prices and customization. The NP8672 has 4GB and the Np9377 has 8GB will it , make a big difference. Which computer do u think will perform better. If I have to extend my $1800 budget a little, then I am fine with that, thanks.

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014
The Sager NP8672 I'm seeing is:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8672-clevo-p670sg-p-7800.html?wconfigure=yes

Notes on this model:
Comes with 8GB of RAM standard.
Comes with INTIGRATED 980m with 4GB VRAM
Non-upgradeable processor meaning it is soldered on board
Base MSRP: $1521.93

Notes on NP9377:
Comes with 8GB of RAM standard
Comes with DEDICATED/USER UPGRADEABLE 980m with 8GB VRAM
Upgradeable processor so you can always replace it if it goes bad, or you have it for a few years and are able to buy a faster one cheaper.
Base MSRP: $1764.43

Go with the NP9377, hands down, no questions asked if $1800 is your limit. That one also has a user customizable colored keyboard. My friend has an MSI with this and it is a wicked cool gimmick. Since the NP9377 has the option for SLI, that means you have TWO slots for a dedicated GPU. You will be able to purchase another 980m down the road and add it to your notebook for SLI performance and a total of 16GB of VRAM. Holy crap, that means your laptop SHOULD be able to go beyond the 4K standard as this mainly pertains to not only the GPU power itself, but the amount of VRAM you have. The 980Ti only has 6GB of VRAM and that is pleeenty for 4K gaming. (No idea at all why the 980M has twice the VRAM of the desktop equivalent.

All that out of the way.. The custom copper cooling and better thermal compound will bring the price to $1875.01. I recommend at least the copper heat sinks since they are custom for that model and will keep the beast cooler. The thermal paste is $35 but will also help, plus I am not sure if adding your own will void the warranty. Doing it yourself will cost anywhere from $5 using Arctic Silver 5 to $15 if you go with CoolLaboratories Liquid Pro/Ultra. Probably best to let them go ahead and do it.

Next, mSATA SSD. 120GB/128GB depending on brand will add an extra $100, you could sacrifice the thermal compound to save $35 if you'd like. Just go with the copper, trust me. An extra $60 will get you a 250/256GB SSD. I recommend the smallest SSD at least to have the OS drive and some applications to have opening programs and general OS performance at very fast speeds.

It comes with a 1TB SATA II (3Gb/s) 7200RPM, which should be fine for all your media and games. Only reason to get an SSD for games would be to decrease loading time, you may gain 1 or 2 FPS as it will not affect game play.

With the SSD you are looking at a grand total of $1972.01. If you'd like to cut that back I don't see any problem with just sticking with the 1TB HDD and negating the thermal compound. You will have an extra HDD bay free so you can always go on NewEgg and find a deal on a 250GB+ SSD for waaaay cheaper than they are offering.

Hope all that helps!