Salts Used for 24-Hour Solar Energy Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTOLfreak

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Actually the total cost is quite low if you factor in the cost of fuel and expected lifetime of the plant. Remember that you are buying the "fuel" upfront with a solar plant. If this were a coal plant, image the cost of the needed coal for the same power for a period of 20 or 30 years.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I like that they are at least still developing new technologies or improving existing tech, making it greener. its a step in the right direction, efficiency will go up and startup cost will go down in time.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Wasn't there talk that the cost soared because of bureaucracy and bad management? I recall hearing that factions in Italian government both tried to cripple this project that has taken a long time to get going. 20 years is a long time to try getting a plant operational.

I wager if it was done right without so much governmental fighting it would cost less.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Salt thermal storage is a rather old technology.[/citation]

as long as it's up and running it's a win for everyone.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Oh - so this is where the money from my electric bill went...
Sure, I may not live in Italy, but they are the contractors behind my bills nevertheless :D

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
It's "24-Hour Solar Energy Generation" except for the hours when it is dark and it is using stored thermal energy. How about the coal plant that has "24-Hour Solar Energy Generation" except that it uses ancient solar processes that stored chemical energy in hydrocarbons which is now released as thermal energy. Solar Coal!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]It's "24-Hour Solar Energy Generation" except for the hours when it is dark and it is using stored thermal energy. How about the coal plant that has "24-Hour Solar Energy Generation" except that it uses ancient solar processes that stored chemical energy in hydrocarbons which is now released as thermal energy. Solar Coal![/citation]
My thoughts exactly!

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Xatos[/nom]*yawn* More liberal and unrealistic junk.[/citation]
Ya god forbid we make efforts to try for cleaner energy...your right we will keep buring this infinite and clean fossil fuels...

Status
Not open for further replies.