Samsung 3D Blu-ray Players Don't Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
A Samsung spokesperson told the site that the company is in the process "of finalizing full certification at the authorized testing center." The next step is for the BDA to provide manufacturers with test discs of the new and final 3D specification. Samsung will use these discs to confirm certification. “Samsung is confident that the new 3D Blu-ray player will pass certification once the process is complete," the spokesperson added. Samsung also said that current 3D Blu-ray players on the market should pass certification as well despite previous reports.
You'd think this kind of product development and testing would take place before people can actually, you know, buy the product.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
They are playing Sony's game. Sony released a blu-ray player that is capable of playing 3D content years ago (the ps3 and I know Sony was one of the heads in determining the spec). All you need is an update and voila it is up to spec. This happened with wireless N. You can look at the specs and determine the basic hardware you'll need and then "fix it in software" later. In this case it's pretty easy, it needs to output a video at 120Hz and run a pair of shutter glasses with each lens at 60Hz. Not saying what they did is right, but it is technically 3D capable, just not spec'd against any set 3D standard. Since the government doesn't have rules governing the use of "3D capable" or "3D TV" they are not breaking any laws. Advertise a 56k internet connection as "broadband" and you're breaking the law since the term "broadband" is regulated.

city_zen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]You'd think this kind of product development and testing would take place before people can actually, you know, buy the product.[/citation]
Just like it happened with 802.11n, you mean? :)

MitchMeister-

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]Heh, guess they jumped the gun on that one.[/citation]

Exactly what I was going to say. But in this day and age, can you really blame them? If they had guessed right, they could have made bank... possibly. But either way, it seems a bit weird to be "guessing" when releasing an expensive item like a bluray player.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]daship[/nom]Probably people with non 3d televisions are making accusations that the Blu-ray is defective cause it wont display 3D.[/citation]
a 60Hz television should work just fine. Set your monitor to 30Hz (if you can), and see, it's usable just fine, Some people just won't like it. =D
Normal theatre and bluray content is only at 26Hz anyways.

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Those advocating release of the hardware and then fixing the firmware are missing the point - only certain things can he fixed in software. How on earth are they supposed to know what will be required until the standard has been ratified? Doing things in hardware is mostly faster than software anyway so early players will be compromised. What is really stupid is that adopting Wireless-N early gave you a benefit of faster wireless (in theory) but adopting 3D Bluray early is pointless due to the huge lack of titles available.

EvilMonk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]david__t[/nom]Those advocating release of the hardware and then fixing the firmware are missing the point - only certain things can he fixed in software. How on earth are they supposed to know what will be required until the standard has been ratified? Doing things in hardware is mostly faster than software anyway so early players will be compromised. What is really stupid is that adopting Wireless-N early gave you a benefit of faster wireless (in theory) but adopting 3D Bluray early is pointless due to the huge lack of titles available.[/citation]
You mean 1080p24?
It's 24hz not 26

EvilMonk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]a 60Hz television should work just fine. Set your monitor to 30Hz (if you can), and see, it's usable just fine, Some people just won't like it. =DNormal theatre and bluray content is only at 26Hz anyways.[/citation]
Sorry about previous post.
Its for that one.

You mean 1080p24?
It's 24hz not 26

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@anamaniac: A potential problem with trying to show a 3D video on a normal HD set is the image processing. Most HDTV sets try to do some amount of noise reduction, even on 1080p60 inputs. But if this is done on consecutive frames for a 3D signal, the noise reduction will not work properly given the number of objects that will be shifting back and forth by varying amounts all over the screen, for the two alternating points of perspective.

If you can completely turn NR off, it might work. But then you also have to ensure that any delay between the signal and the screen displaying that signal is accounted for in the shutter glasses, or they'll be out of sync. IDK if the current 3D TVs are what send the signal to the glasses, or if it can be adjusted somehow b.c. I haven't invested in this nascent tech.

mbmcavoy

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I think Samsung in particular is too eager to be first to market. I think about 6 years ago, I bought my first HDTV, and a Samsung upscaling DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio player. It was $200, compared with $600 for the next-cheapest model from Denon.

Unfortunately, it was a piece of CRAP.
- It would usually overheat and freeze about 3/4 through a movie.
- When playing a movie with a DTS soundtrack, there would be a hiccup in the sound about once a minute.
- I could not properly play a DVD-Audio disc; *constantly* skipping on each one I owned.

I exchanged it, and the replacement behaved exactly the same. The store didn't have one on a usable display, but after making a basic connection I was able to demonstrate the DVD-Ausio issue on theirs as well.

It simply failed to properly implement basic advertised features...

G

BS....... I spent all this money on 3D TV & 3D Blu-Ray player along with 3D glasses &it don't work now what am I supposed to do..........WASTE OF MONEY DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT.........DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY THEY COULD'VE DONE MUCH BETTER THEN THIS!!!!!!!!!

G

I'm unable to enjoy a movie because its very off putting and distracting when your glasses keep losing sync, going out of and back into 3d mode every couple of minutes. Its a great pity because the 3d effects are very good during the short periods of time that the function correctly.

G

I just bought one today and it wont play 3D. Samsung told me I need to have the unit serviced. WHAT?
right out of the bof from the store and I have to send it in for service? I don't think so, Samsung. I will take it back and buy another brand. Everything Samsung is putting out lately is junk anyway.

G

Bought a Blueray 3D Samsung smart player BD-E8500M 2 months ago (Sept 2012) and it is about to be sent to a I.T. solutions company to be fixed!!
I lost all my channels and having tried several options including reseting the box and buying a new T.V. ariel it still won't work. I phoned Samsung but they can't solve the problem.
Didn't expect this from Samsung. Very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS